Humidity at 45% issue?

mychickens

Songster
10 Years
Sep 8, 2009
Eastern Shore, MD
Hello, I am on day 3 of my 1st incubation. I can't seem to get the humidity up above 45% (guinea eggs). Is this a major issue or is it close enough to the reccomended 50% the manufacturer recommends?

Hello, I am on day 3 of my 1st incubation. I can't seem to get the humidity up above 45% (guinea eggs). Is this a major issue or is it close enough to the reccomended 50% the manufacturer recommends?
What kind of meter and incubator are you using? How does your water reservoir/s work? You will need to get your humidity a lot higher for the hatch----you should have tested that before you put the eggs in if you did not already know what needs to be done??

Keep in mind the humidity is controlled by the amount of water Surface you have in the incubator---more square inches of water surface the higher the humidity. Some built in meters are so far off its unreal----like the incubator Tractor Supply sells the most of----way off most of the time.

45% is higher than I would want for the incubation period for the quinea eggs, but needs to be higher the last 3 days for the hatch.

I do the Farm Innovators incubator from Tractor Supply! The instructions say the humidity should be 50% - 60% during the incubation period. I have the incubator in my finished basement. It is humid in here, I have a de-humidifier in the basement reading 80% (in another room from the incubator but close) I tested incubator for 1.5 days before adding eggs. At first the humidity was way high so I closed the door to that room and turned the de-humidifier up to 80% and removed the water in the incubator. When I set the eggs the humidity was 49% and had been for a while so I thought I was set. Now I add water to the bottom and it still wont come up to 50% after 1.5 days.
I will try to attach pic I took of where the humidity reader is set in the incubator. When I was testing it the blue tip laid down closer to the water reservoir, I now have it sitting on top of the plastic holding the thermometer to keep it from hanging down. Could it be in the wrong place?
IMG_4195.JPG

Your pic did not show for me.

Being you have the farm innavator are you using the meter that come with it? As I said--they are mostly incorrect and I would highly recommend you not trust them. Read the reviews---most would Not recommend this incubator including several people I know personally. It might work but do not try to do anything until you check it out with another better meter. Feel free to follow the instructions, I am just sharing what I do---I would never try to "incubate"(not talking about hatching) at 45 to 50% humidity---its way to high for me. Good Luck

what humidity would you be at?
is humidity different for guinea vs. chicken?
what humidity would you be at for hatching?
Thank you for your time. I am going to see about getting another guage to use.

what humidity would you be at?
is humidity different for guinea vs. chicken?
what humidity would you be at for hatching?
Thank you for your time. I am going to see about getting another guage to use.
OK, I have hatched Many Guinea eggs---real good hatch results/% as well as many chicks---10,000+/- in the last 3 or so years. I like to stay in the 35% range for the incubation. I have helped people in many area's,My area--SC, California, Canada, WV, New York, Texas, etc and told them to start there and see what happens---most had great results and Now stay in that range for the incubation. I forget where Amy lives but I think she stays in that area---she even dry incubates alot. Good Luck.

Don't get mad but I want to state this----Don't See about getting another meter, Get another meter---even the $9 from Wal-marts I would trust alot better. Read the reviews on this incubator on-line---I know you haven't because if you had you would Not be the Owner of one of those Incubators. Good Luck

I just looked---they got it on sale--- https://www.walmart.com/ip/AcuRite-Digital-Humidity-and-Temperature-Monitor/16888914

Last edited:
Ok gotcha. What if I got the new meter and in the mean time ordered a new incubator, tested it for a day then transfered the eggs to it? I feel like I may never trust this incubator. Especially since you have such different incubation humidity #'s than the directions say :(

Ok gotcha. What if I got the new meter and in the mean time ordered a new incubator, tested it for a day then transfered the eggs to it? I feel like I may never trust this incubator. Especially since you have such different incubation humidity #'s than the directions say :(
Hey alot of incubators tell you to get in the 50% range---I am just saying for Me and many others on here that hatch alot---Thats to high---I have alot better luck---higher hatch % with it lower.

But I do Like your thoughts----I got a 1602n and it does a Great Job. Now I mainly use my home-made cabinets. I have heard several say there is another one that does a great job---maybe Amy or one of the others with alot of experience will tell you which to get. Then carry the one you got back for a refund. Great Idea!!

Ok, just ordered the 1602n. Now will get the meter and keep fingers crossed till the new one comes. This may be a futile attempt anyway, I have never seen the guinea guys ever catch the girls, lol, just alot of chasing.

Back
Top Bottom