Humidity - Eggs with dates to hatch June 5-12th

Kramspott

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
Hey gang,

We just built our first incubator and it's a beauty. Tested it for a week and are purring at 99.5 degrees with 50% humidity.

Have the set-up ready to increase humidity on day 18 of the first eggs.

Question - we have been collecting eggs (2 as of today even) and wondering how to compensate for the range it hatch dates and monitoring humidity.

Hatches should be:

4 eggs June 5th
3 eggs June 6th
2 eggs June 9th
2 eggs June 12th

What is the humidity range to accommodate for some eggs in the 'bator' that will hatch 5-7 days before the others?

Am I toast on this? I am sure we're not the first to tackle this.

Thanks,
Kurt

Have you set your eggs in the bator yet? If your just thinking youll just have to add a few as they come along you dont have to you can hold your eggs for up to a good week and still have good sucsess with them . Im shure somone will know more about it then me though .

Nope - they're in there - all eleven eggs - we're new to incubating.

We have three hens that naturally sit and wanted to try incubating as well.

The three hens got three chicks this year out of 20 eggs. One girl, an orpington with a broken leg did a lil' damage at first breaking a good number, regained her composure and then lost interest at about day 18 and a good number (7) and they cooled.

:(

Some of the 20 eggs were never fertilized and three were eaten by an egg eater who is going in the pot.

Hmmm...

That's tough because the first eggs are going to need to go in lockdown on day 18--no more turning and increased humidity. But the other eggs need less humidity and turning during that time.

Most people--and chickens--collect eggs until they have enough to hatch and set them all at the same time.

Search for "staggered hatch" here; you might find some answers.

Nope - they're in there - all eleven eggs - we're new to incubating.

We have three hens that naturally sit and wanted to try incubating as well.

The three hens got three chicks this year out of 20 eggs. One girl, an orpington with a broken leg did a lil' damage at first breaking a good number, regained her composure and then lost interest at about day 18 and a good number (7) and they cooled.

:(

Some of the 20 eggs were never fertilized and three were eaten by an egg eater who is going in the pot.
I guess you could try and just keep the humidity the same as now and see what happens. I think thats what I would do. If it has a turner in it will have to take that out on the first day 18 and turn the others by hand. They could get caught up in the turner when they hatch if it is left in. Good luck and let us know how it goes I am sub to this to get the updates.

Aprijc,

Decided quickly - have all the parts and a duplicate cooler to build a second incubator and will move the eggs from one incubator to the next on day 18. Took me an afternoon to build the first.

From 99.5 degrees and 50% humidity in the first to 99.5 degrees with 70-80% humidity in the second.

Easy-peesy.

Thanks for the 'Staggered Hatch" idea.

Will keep you posted - going to move the eggs in a staggered approach from one incubator, to a second unit I build this week exclusively for lock down.

We have all the parts on hand for a second unit.

:)

Back
Top Bottom