*Humidity for hatching Silkie eggs, and resting question!*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SundownWaterfowl, Jul 30, 2008.

1. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

This week I am going to be receiving some Silkie eggs in the mail.

I am going to use my Brinsea Octagon 40 to incubate them. The manual says to have the humidity at 40-50% relative humidity. Is that correct? Or should it be a little higher?

Then for hatching it says 65% or more humidity? Is that right? What are you recomendations?

Also, when I recieve them how long do you reccomend letting them rest? I will receive them at around 3:30pm this saturday afternoon. I was thinking to let them rest until around 7am sunday morning. Is that fine, or too long?

This is my last hatch of the season, and I really want this hatch to go great. And I think it will. I just want to make sure I have all the humidity %'s down.

Thanks in advance for all your help. [​IMG]

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I keep my incubators at about 50-55% humidity for the first 18 days and then I up it to 65-70% for the last three days.

If I get shipped eggs in, I let them rest at least 8 hours. If they appear to have had a rough trip, air cells moving around, I do not turn them for a few days in the bator to let them settle even more.

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yep... that about sums it up. They're no different than any other chicken egg. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by