Humidity goes UP...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by IggiMom, Jan 23, 2010.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Ok, I just put all these eggs in the Genesis. I put just a few in the LG. I have not put this many in at once before.

The humidity went shooting way up to about 70.

Is this to be expected? Will it go down again? I think humidity is so important, but since these baby eggs just started, surely high humidity for a while will not hurt them?

Thanks.

Catherine

2. Keri78

Keri78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    Here's a piece from the article on the BYC homepage (click on hatching eggs then on "Dry Incubation" Hope this helps! You may want to read the whole article it's really specific!

Now that you have your room set up, I would plug in the incubator and add no water. Allow the incubator to stabilize for a minimum of 48 hours to be sure it is at 99.5 for forced air (fan installed) or 101 for still air (no fan). While it is stabilizing, get a room hygrometer (instrument that measures humidity) and place it in the room. Bring the humidity level in the room up to between 50%-75% preferably 50%. If you live in a humid environment, you may actually need to dehumidify your room. But nevertheless, if you keep the humidity at 50% or close to it, you will do great. By controlling the room humidity, you can be more precise with your moisture in the incubator especially the foam incubator's. Since your incubator gets its air from the room, it will have some humidity. You may on the 1202's, have to add a small amount of water as they tend to run a little drier than some incubators. If the humidity in the room drops to 40% don't get concerned. The eggs themselves will supply some of the humidity needed inside the foam incubator's. They will also supply some humidity in the 1202's but not near as much with 1 tray full of eggs as they will if the 1202 is completely full. Higher humidity is worse that lower humidity as higher humidity hinders evaporation.

I think personally I would empty out the water and let it run dry for a few days the eggs may be all you need to keep the humidity up!

3. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Well, thank you. I am checking the room humidity and I two little hygrometers, and they are varying a great deal. I guess maybe I'll have to get another one.

I do have one inside each incubator.

I have one of those things that have like a tiny little waterfall in the room, and I guess I could put the vaporizer in there. I also have a number of fish bowls for Betas.

I am in West Virginia, and the humidity here varies. This time of year, it usually isn't too humid, because of the heat being on, and it is supposed to be even colder next week, I think.

In the summer, it gets pretty humid, sometimes uncomfortably so.

Oh, I know, I could put a little dish with water in it on the little register!

This is SUCH a nice bunch of eggs, and Taterschicken has done such a wonderful packing job with them, I want to give them every chance!

Catherine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by