Humidity has been too high

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jamesnoldsr, Dec 16, 2011.

1. jamesnoldsr

jamesnoldsr Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    North Central Texas
    Ok, so I'm new at this and I just accepted what the dial type humidity gauge was telling me regarding the humidity in the incubator. Well, today I realized that the thing has been off (as in not correct) all along and I'm sure the humidity has been too high for the first week and a half of my eggs incubation period. I am going to get a digital one- I know -I know- but is there anything that I can to do try to correct the issue at this point to have a better hatch? I have about a week to go. Is there anything I can do? Like run the bator very dry for the next few days to help draw off some water? Thanks for any info.

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    You could take out one of the plugs (if it's the type incubator that has plugs for regulating air flow) - and then not add any more water until lockdown.

3. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    I would candle some of the eggs to see if the air cell is too small for the time they have been incubated. The size of the air cell reflects the humidity. If it is too small I would remove all water and open the door or take the lid off[depending on what type of incubator you have] for 10 minutes a day until the air cell is the correct size.

4. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    you should say what the AMBIENT HUMIDITY is

and

what the bator humidity is.

this data helps with giving a more informed response.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I would also remove the plugs if you are using a styrofoam incubator. The air won't hurt the eggs. I would definately get the humidity down until it's time to go into lockdown. I do a dry hatch where I keep my humidity around 35% for the first 18 days and when I go in to lockdown on day 18 I raise the humidity to 70% to 75%. My hatches are 95% to 100%. I use a cabinet incubator to incubate in and open and close my vents to adjust my humidity. I use my LG and Hova-Bator styrofoam incubators as hatchers. This is what works for me. Good luck and have fun...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by