Humidity HELP day 18

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Critter Crazed, May 13, 2010.

1. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    I can't get my humidity up! I don't know why! I put three wash cloths and two sponges and a bowl of water in there and it's lower than it was when I put one washcloth in there. [​IMG] Somebody please help I don't want to shrink wrap my eggs.

I have a LG Still air and the humidity is at 50% day 18.... please please help. Do you think my hummidity gage is off? I did calibrate it in the beginning of my hatch

My mom is off to get good sponges for me (I don't think the ones we have were retaining water cuz they were foamy car washing sponges) and a new humidity gage. Am I doing something wrong? I'm so worried for my eggs...

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Maxi pad and warm water. [​IMG]

3. Critter Crazed

Jun 22, 2009
    WONDERFUL idea [​IMG]
    I'm putting a dehumidifier in my room (I have a cold so it benefits both of us) lol [​IMG]
    I'll try the maxi pad too!!!

4. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I started with an LG still air [​IMG] [​IMG] I hated it but we all have to start someplace. Any way..... I placed as many small tubs as I could fit in the bottom tray. The water channels provided are NOT enough!!! I then added 4 wadded up papper towels under the small holes (on the wire mesh) in the corners of the lid. I used a syringe to add HOT water to them all day long. Just enough to keep them wet with out dripping. I left the plugs in until they strted to zip and hatch! Even then I only removed 1 until they finished hatching then removed the other when I had actual chicks and not eggs!

Good luck and God Bless!

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  5. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    I am having the same problem - I have a brower top hatch - the whole bottom is filled with water and i have a brand new sponge cut up and in there a humidifier running and still 50 % [​IMG]
    My DH is in the HVAC business so I have his $500 hydrometer to check the humidity (just in case the other 2 were wrong ) and it is still saying 50% .
    I will try the maxi pad hope it works
    this is my 2nd attempt at hatching in this thing and the 1st did not do so well .

Hope we both have good luck [​IMG]

6. Critter Crazed

Jun 22, 2009
    Good luck to you too karen [​IMG]
    I will add warm water through the holes all day today! and I'll keep you guys posted. I put a humidifier in there and the humidity is still at 55% [​IMG] actually now like 49%..

7. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you calibrate you hydrometer? Maybe it's just off? Sometimes they are off by 10%. Mine is off by 5%.

8. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    Quote:Yes she did Calibrate it b4 she started incubating [​IMG]

9. Critter Crazed

Jun 22, 2009
    Yup I did, what nic said lol. It is 10% off so I subtract 10% from what it says. It says 63% now so it's 53% :S. I took out the maxi pad and sponges and put in wet paper towelling and a washcloth and it went up 3%...

10. Critter Crazed

Jun 22, 2009
    I have two pips already and its day 18! day 19 in 5 hours... and one chirped at me!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by