Humidity Help please

That's alright lol I'll leave the first one in coz it is still moving about but yes I agree the second one has definately quit... might need to invest in a better incubator...
The first two look like they died a bit ago, but I'm on the fence with the last one, it wasn't anything you did, sometimes, 65% is a bit high but not lethal as this point. sometimes they just quit... I'm srry.
ETA thanks for your replies! 🙏 appreciate it

Thankfully photo 1 has now grown to almost fill the shell and wobbles around by itself and photo 2 actually hatched! Photo 3 has externally pipped
Only posting this for others to see if in future they have the same problem

Thankfully photo 1 has now grown to almost fill the shell and wobbles around by itself and photo 2 actually hatched! Photo 3 has externally pipped
Only posting this for others to see if in future they have the same problem
This is awesome news
Can’t wait to see pictures :)
All my little ducks hatched as well
11 into lockdown and 11 babies

This is awesome news
Here are the 2 that hatched yesterday, I pulled them out when dealing with the shrink wrapped chick this morning

Attachments

• 20220607_141016.jpg
    20220607_141016.jpg
    432.7 KB · Views: 4
This is awesome news
And congratulations to you! 🎉
That's an awesome hatch rate!
My son called the shrink wrapped one Lucky! He hadn't absorbed his yolk I ended up tying his cord and cutting it (I'm really happy coz it's since dried up and looks fine!) God definately kept it alive so far! It was touch and go for a couple of hours thought we lost it after we bathed it to get the rest of the membrane off it was on its eye and had glued it's wing to its head and shoulder facing the wrong way poor chickie.
He is now parading around the incubator knocking the other eggs all over the place 🤣 I'm not game to get him out though coz 2 more have pipped and I don't want to deal with anymore shrink wraps! So stressful

Last edited:
It will help prevent shrink wraps to keep humidity above 60% or so. But I've had one that shrink wrapped even with a high humidity. I have been aiming to start with humidity around 30% for the first week, 40% for the second week, and then boost it to 60-70% during lockdown. In my climate, this means I need to do what is called "dry incubation" until lockdown--that is, I don't add any water to the incubator pre-lockdown. I've even had to run the air conditioner to reduce room humidity. But while they are hatching is not the time to try to get the air cells to grow larger by having a low humidity--it's simply too late by that point, as you'll get shrink wrapping then.

And congratulations to you! 🎉
That's an awesome hatch rate!
My son called the shrink wrapped one Lucky! He hadn't absorbed his yolk I ended up tying his cord and cutting it (I'm really happy coz it's since dried up and looks fine!) God definately kept it alive so far! It was touch and go for a couple of hours thought we lost it after we bathed it to get the rest of the membrane off it was on its eye and had glued it's wing to its head and shoulder facing the wrong way poor chickie.
He is now parading around the incubator knocking the other eggs all over the place 🤣 I'm not game to get him out though coz 2 more have pipped and I don't want to deal with anymore shrink wraps! So stressful
Lucky is a great name :)
You caught him just in time
I like to keep my Bator in a bathroom
In my upper bath I turn on the shower for a few mins before I open the bator so it’s nice a humid in the room preventing any drops when I open it
My other option is my basement bathroom and I add my humidifier but also my electric heater to blow on the cool air both sit on the ground as heat rises the bator was on the counter and I was able to pull 2 babies at a time and had nobody shrink wrapped
I kept my humidity in my bator around 65 but as babies hatched it would get to 70
I had my mom duck decide to go broody months back a few weeks after I started to incubate a batch. She started with 8 eggs and lost 5 along the way at hatch time the last 3 had issues
2 internal pips but never external and died The last one had bruise in the wrong end I took it and put it in bator it needed a full assist I named her hope as she was the last hope for daisy to have one live after sitting for 30 days
Mom wouldn’t take her after she was dry to tried to attack her
They are together now 5 months later
Sometimes the name fits the experience of the hatch ;)

Back
Top Bottom