Humidity Help Two different readings

JordanFamily

Crowing
16 Years
Feb 4, 2008
Archie, MO
OK so I have two different humidity guages one on the rack says 43 the one at level to the middle of the eggs says 33. Which one should I go by? Thanks
hu.gif

Do you know that either or both of the gauges is accurate?

Seems to me that in such a confined space, the humidity should be the same, which seems to me to mean that one of the gauges isn't correct.

You might want to remove one and test it for accuracy. If it passes, then put it back in and trust the readings. If if fails, assume briefly that the reading on the other one is right, but take it out and test it too before returning it to the 'bator.

My 2 cents, which you have to understand aren't worth anywhere near that much because I have no experience whatsoever with actual incubating and have just been reading....

Susan

I always keep my thermometer/hygrometer on the back of the incubator on the floor...never on the racks...

Quote:
You need to calibrate them. That way you know how to read them.

Here is the best way to do it that way when it comes to day 18 you have a true reading on your Hydrometers.

You can calibrate a hydrometer by mixing in a bowl 1/4 cup of salt in 1/2 cup water.

Place bowl inside a zip lock baggie with your hydrometer. After at least 8 hours, your hygrometer should read 75%.

If it says, for example 80% you know that it is reading 5% to high and then you can make adjustments in your readings.

Speckledhen posted this a while back and it is the best thing I have done to get a true reading.

I have one that reads dead on 75% after 8 hours and another that reads 1% to low and one that reads 12% to HIGH!! But once you know that you can figure out your percentage. I write on my hydrometers what percentage they are off so I can remember.

Hope this helps!

Does the salt test work on digital hygrometers as well as the analog ones? I'm wondering because I tested one digital last week and it only got up to 61% after 8 hours. I assumed it was "bad", and now I am re-testing it along with 2 others in a bag, and all three (with two hours still to go) are reading 53%.....

Susan

Quote:
Well, it can't be bad batteries, because I just put brand new ones in all three. But I just went and looked, and all three are still reading 54%.

Now I've got a clue, though (we'll see). The bags I had were Ziplock Storage (not Freezer) bags. I'll bet they are more porous.

I'll let you know in a few more hours what the readings are.....

Susan

Back
Top Bottom