humidity help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greenthumb89, Jul 10, 2008.

1. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    this is my first time hatching and i am having problems keeping the humidity constant. if i fill the troughs at the bottom it goes to 70+ and if i empty them it goes to 35...dont kn ow what to do please help...it is a little giant still air incubator.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Add just a little water. The humidity increases by the amount of water surface exposed to the air. If you don't have a turner in there and have room just add a dish with some water and see what it does.

3. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    also you might try opening a vent hole when the humidity is high and closing a vent hole when the humidity is lower to try and regulate it some. Just have to play with it a little.

4. greenthumb89

greenthumb89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    pulaski wisconsin
    i am also wondering what the humidity during the first 18 days should be ive read anywhere from 40-60 and that is a large range and im nervous already about this would really like a more clear answer thanks.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    40-45% is the best range to keep.

6. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I have a LG still air too and found the same problem. While incubating, I only filled the two bigger troughs, adding a little as need to maintain 40-45%. On day 18, I filled them all and added a piece of sponge with a wet paper towel over it and my humidity has been consistent. Had to add the sponge and paper towel because I had trouble getting it up to 65.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by