1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Humidity Humidity Humidity!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Keeperkim, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Keeperkim

Keeperkim New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    I just started lockdown today with my Salmon Faverolles. I have a little giant stryrofoam still air. Incubation has been going pretty good until now, BUT we just got hit with a really strong high pressure weather system, its less than 10% humidity outside right now, and in our house not much more.

I cannot for the life of me get the humidity higher than 60%! I've got the water well filled all the way, wet paper towels and a few sponges lining everywhere except over the holes on the floor under the wire, a few sponges over the wire too, and I've got the whole incubator covered in a wet towel. I just read the thread about tips on the LG incubator and will be picking up some baby food jars and sponges to set on the wire to see if that will work, I hate to open the incubator now, but I think I have no choice. Any suggestions?

I know there is tons on here about keeping humidity higher, and have read some, but nothing seems to be working. BTW, first time hatcher, can you tell =/

2. CayuseRanch

CayuseRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Newalla, Oklahoma
    I bated my lg and this was one of the reasons but ill tell you what I did. I put two wash cloths folded under the vent plugs and continually put hot water thrum a straw onto the clothes. It worked fairly well but did it several times a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by