Humidity in a Hoverbator 1588

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aqhaktberry3, Sep 28, 2009.

1. aqhaktberry3

aqhaktberry3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Central FL
    What should the humidity for hatching chicken eggs be in a Hoverbator 1588 with a fan? Also how do you lower the humidity? Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Everyone's humidity tends to be a little different depending on where you live. You'll have to do several hatches and see what humidity works best where you live. But, this is how I do mine in NC: I keep my humidity levels between 40 - 50% (usually on the low side of those) from day 1 thru 18. Then, I bump the humidity to 60 - 70% for the last 3 days by filling all the wells.

3. aqhaktberry3

May 25, 2009
    Central FL
    How do you lower the humidity?

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Remove some or all the water, don't open the bator very often. Any time you make a change, give it at least 4-6 hours to really adjust.

That's a good incubator.

5. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Quote:I just went thru this yesterday. After a small revelation ( and remembering I was told earlier ) You can remove one of the plugs to lower the humidity. Once I did that, the humidity was right where I needed it. The temp didn't drop, just the humidity. It's been holding steady ever since.

Bluemoon

6. aqhaktberry3

May 25, 2009
    Central FL
    What should the humidity be for EE's eggs? I live in FL.

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I actually run my incubators with none of the plugs in, this makes it easier to adjust the humidity when hatch time comes.

Humidity does greatly depend on where you live, I usually run mine at about 35%, unless it's quail or ducks, then it's at least 50%. But that's what works for me, might not be the same for you.

Normally, I just let mine dry out on its own, unless the humidity is really high, but I haven't had to add water to either incubator for a month at least, and it's been about 35-40% the whole time. The only one that needs water is the hatcher. [​IMG]

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:Humidity range is the same for all chicken breeds. It's ducks, geese and the such that needs different humidity levels from chicken breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by