Humidity in incubator inconsistent

MotherDucker3

Chirping
May 28, 2021
Hello,

I am new to incubating eggs. Currently I have 4 duck eggs in my EZ simply incubator.
This incubator does not have a build in hygrometer so I bought one to try and keep track. From what I have read online, humidity for the first few weeks should be about 55%. I have been having issues with trying to keep the humidity consistent. The instructions just say to fill the middle tray on the bottom for first few weeks (There are 5 trays) but its hard to even see how much water is in the tray with the eggs in there... My humidity according to the hygrometer has been between 40%-60%. When I wake up in the morning I go and check the humidity right away and its usually pretty low, about 20% so I have to add water to the incubator first thing every morning and then I also usually add more water in the evening because humidity is dropping again. Is this normal? How often does water need to be added to an incubator usually? I thought it would hold the humidity a bit better.. My Eggs have been in the incubator for 6 days now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cherrynberry

🍒 ❤️🐓
Premium Feather Member
Aug 2, 2020
California
Hello,

I am new to incubating eggs. Currently I have 4 duck eggs in my EZ simply incubator.
This incubator does not have a build in hygrometer so I bought one to try and keep track. From what I have read online, humidity for the first few weeks should be about 55%. I have been having issues with trying to keep the humidity consistent. The instructions just say to fill the middle tray on the bottom for first few weeks (There are 5 trays) but its hard to even see how much water is in the tray with the eggs in there... My humidity according to the hygrometer has been between 40%-60%. When I wake up in the morning I go and check the humidity right away and its usually pretty low, about 20% so I have to add water to the incubator first thing every morning and then I also usually add more water in the evening because humidity is dropping again. Is this normal? How often does water need to be added to an incubator usually? I thought it would hold the humidity a bit better.. My Eggs have been in the incubator for 6 days now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Soak a sponge and add it in the incubator...it keeps humidity much bettet

FlynnCahill

Chirping
Jun 1, 2021
How did the hatch turn out in the end as I’m having humidity issues with an incubator with 5 trays. Mine keeps going between 40-65 and I’m panicking. Did the sponge work, and how many hatched? 😀

Mrs J

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Gloucestershire
How did the hatch turn out in the end as I’m having humidity issues with an incubator with 5 trays. Mine keeps going between 40-65 and I’m panicking. Did the sponge work, and how many hatched? 😀
Hi
I normally have my humidity at 40-50% for the first 18 days (chickens) and then the last 3 days around 65%, but everyone has their own way of doing things. Good luck 👍

OregonPortland

In the Brooder
Nov 13, 2021
Hello,

I am having this same problem and also panicking. It’s like I try to adjust it and then it over corrects!

Top Bottom