Humidity, Or nah?

Phionex Boy

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
Beaufort,SC
For the first 18 days do you really need a specific Humidity level? I heard all you need is it to be above 60 on the last 3 days. Will it effect the hatching if the level is between 25 and 55?

I like to do the Dry Incubation method (see link in my signature). basically, zero water for the first 18 days (around 25-35% is perfect). then increased to 55-65% the last 3 days.

How come when i put the lid on with the light on the humidity stays around 50? Is that okay if it is around 50 during a dry humidity thing? Do you have to even worry about The humidity before the 3 days?

How come when i put the lid on with the light on the humidity stays around 50? Is that okay if it is around 50 during a dry humidity thing? Do you have to even worry about The humidity before the 3 days?

Different people have different methods... I can't say for certain what is right/wrong for you. This is just what I do.

I was originally told about the Dry Indubation Method by old timer very experienced hatchers, so I relied on their experience and have been very happy that I did.

During incubation, the egg is evaporating. It is actually losing water. So it causes it's own humidity just by being inside the incubator. Adding more humidity, will slow down this evaporation process, result in late-hatching chicks, or chicks that are full of liquid on d21 and drown. It is much better to force evaporation throughout the first 18 days.

The reason the humidity needs to be increased at the end is to prevent the membrane from drying out. The only time this can happen is when the shell has an external pip hole in it. THAT is when the humidity becomes important. With low humidity, the membrane can dry out. if it dries out, it can stick to the chick. that can prevent the chick from hatching. This is also why it is VERY important not to open the incubator at the end (lockdown). if you open the incubator, you let the humidity out. I put tape on my incubator so I don't get tempted to open it. it really is that important.

if i have eggs in a carton thing witch way would i put them in first and how many times would i flip them and all about flipping and switching eggs.... Also, where would you suggest me to put the fan in and wher the holes?

if i have eggs in a carton thing witch way would i put them in first and how many times would i flip them and all about flipping and switching eggs.... Also, where would you suggest me to put the fan in and wher the holes?

are you building your own incubator? I have never done that, sorry. if you go to the Learning Center tab at the top of this page, there is a section on homemade incubators with lots of good information and building plans.

are your eggs shipped? that is the only time I have needed to incubate eggs in a carton.

with homegrown eggs, I just lay the eggs on their sides in the incubator. I mark 1 side with an X, the other with an O, so I can track which side needs to be up/down next. It is best to flip the eggs an odd # per day, 3 or 5 times. that way they do not stay on the same side overnight twice in a row.

I am currently incubating eggs in a hovabator. This is my first time. I read your dry hatching method but are you using a still air incubator? My incubator has a fan. Should I turn the fan off on hatch day or leave it running? Im not sure it can be disconnected, but I was thinking the fan might be more drying. I have been adding a little water every few days because the humidity was dropping very low (around 20%). I suppose I could stop adding water... or with the fan is it necessary to keep some humidity?

Back
Top Bottom