Humidity Problems with Brinsea Mini Advance

grahask

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
I'm currently on day 22 with my first hatch in the brinsea mini advance. I purchased this because of the great reviews and ease of use and great viewing for my children. I had 7 eggs that all developed perfectly and looked great at my last candling on day 18. But now on day 22, we have no signs of hatching, and I am beginning to worry. I followed all directions exactly, keeping water in one reservoir until lockdown and then filling both for days 19-21. I also used the automatic egg cooling program for 60 minutes a day for days 5-18. I just checked humidity with a hygrometer and its at 82%. I do live in a naturally humid climate. Will my chicks not hatch with humidity that high? Should I remove water?

Sorry to hear about your problems. Forgive the question but this are chicken eggs, right?

I used the Brinsea and also live in a humid climate with no problems. I don't think this is caused by the humidity, I raised mine to 80% before hatch too.

You aren't seeing any egg movement at all?

Last edited:
Yes, sorry, these are chicken eggs (orpington). The eggs are not moving at all...should I candle to check for internal movement or just let them be for another few days?

Yes, sorry, these are chicken eggs (orpington). The eggs are not moving at all...should I candle to check for internal movement or just let them be for another few days?
With no activity it definitely wouldn't hurt to candle and see if there's any internal pips or movement. I would still give them until day 24, but I'd probably candle at this point to try to give myself piece of mind.

Not sure candling would show much (unless you got lucky and saw movement from an internal pip) though you might notice if the air cells have gotten bigger.

Without a loss of power or other strange occurrence it just seems odd that 7 good eggs would all die this late in the game. I would definitely give them another couple of days.

I might take one or two out and gently place it in a bowl on a stable surface to double check for movement. I did that with an egg i thought was definitely a dud a couple of days ago, the egg hatched yesterday and produced a perfect little pullet.

Last edited:
Not sure candling would show much (unless you got lucky and saw movement from an internal pip) though you might notice if the air cells have gotten bigger.

Without a loss of power or other strange occurrence it just seems odd that 7 good eggs would all die this late in the game. I would definitely give them another couple of days.

I might take one or two out and gently place it in a bowl on a stable surface to double check for movement. I did that with an egg i thought was definitely a dud a couple of days ago, the egg hatched yesterday and produced a perfect little pullet.

Thank you! I'm new at this, but it does seem very strange to me that they would all die at this point in a brinsea, which are reported to be such reliable incubators. I will try this and wait several more days. Thanks again.

With no activity it definitely wouldn't hurt to candle and see if there's any internal pips or movement. I would still give them until day 24, but I'd probably candle at this point to try to give myself piece of mind.

Thank you for your help! I will update in a few days with progress

Ok…I candled and the air cell looks large and the chick is moving! No internal pips yet and no chirping. Even when I lifted the brinsea lid, the humidity did not drop below 70%. I guess I will just wait and see. Thanks again

Did you calibrate the thermometer? My brand new Brinsea Mini Advance was running at approximately 98.0 to 98.5 degrees, even though the incubator control panel read 99.5. I verified the actual temperature at egg level using 2 different Spot Check thermometers. So I ended up having to recalibrate the Brinsea, and chicks hatched right on time - Day 21. If the temperature was running on the low side, it may delay the hatch by a day or two.

Last edited:
No, I did not. And I think that could be the problem. The hygrometer I just put in also has a thermometer and it is reading much lower than the brinsea built in digital thermometer. This is a major problem! How do you calibrate it? I do have 2 pips now, so hopefully we will have chicks tomorrow. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom