Humidity question.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CBee, Jan 19, 2009.

1. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    My humidity hasn't been doing too good, it fluctuates between 20% and 50%, and I think I really need it around 60%-70%, seeing as how the babies I want to hatch are tropical birds.

First of all, if the origin is basically a rain forest, and the humidity there is high, will I need to keep the bator at those constants? Or does it not matter?

Secondly, I have heard of some people misting their eggs while they are in the bator. Is this okay?

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I would test the hygrometer first. Here is a link to how to do it. http://exoticpets.about.com/od/herpresources/ss/hygrometer_4.htm

How
    are you adding water. It sounds like you are running completely out. You might try adding water every day. My Hovabator takes a cup almost everyday during this dry winter. I found that they use much more water than you might imagine. I also have a TX-6 and water is dispensed automatically. I use 2 quarts of water during the 21 days and it is half the sice of the Hova Bator.

I don't think spritzing the eggs would hurt but be sure the water is around 100 degrees. You can also add a damp cloth to the floor or a wet sponge. I find they dry out quickly. The cloth will need to be rinsed carefully to prevent it from going sour.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    What are you hatching ?? Do you know what hum they should have ??

4. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Thanks Jimnjay, that helps a lot. [​IMG] I had just a shallow dish for water because I was afraid of putting anything more in that would raise it too much.

And that sponge sounds like a good idea to see how much water I'll need every day, I'm going to go do that.

I have about 5 or 6 Saipen eggs and 1-2 Silkies. The Saipan parents came from a little island by the Philippines. I do not know what humidity they should be hatched at, but the humidity in Saipan is around 60-70% year round.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by