Humidity question

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
Our room humidity is about 45%. I am running a dry incubation as when I put the amount of water in the incubator that the manual suggested, my humidity shot up to 90%!! This might be a stupid question, but if my room humidity is 45%, does that mean my incubator running dry is the same or close to the same as the room? My hygrometer won’t fit into my incubator right now (need to buy a smaller one next time), but will fit in with the eggs when we go into lockdown as I can take the dividers out which will make enough room.

Our room humidity is about 45%. I am running a dry incubation as when I put the amount of water in the incubator that the manual suggested, my humidity shot up to 90%!! This might be a stupid question, but if my room humidity is 45%, does that mean my incubator running dry is the same or close to the same as the room? My hygrometer won’t fit into my incubator right now (need to buy a smaller one next time), but will fit in with the eggs when we go into lockdown as I can take the dividers out which will make enough room.
What kind of incubator is it? Yeah you can take out the water. It should run about the same as your room.

What kind of incubator is it? Yeah you can take out the water. It should run about the same as your room.

It’s a cheap chinese one. An HDD. It was supposed to hold 12 eggs but will only hold 8 properly so I gave the extras to my friend who has a broody. I ordered a different incubator for next time, holds 24 eggs and has a clear window...this one has a tinted window which will be super annoying once chicks start (hopefully) hatching. It’s my first attempt at this and I feel like I’ve failed, lol.

It’s a cheap chinese one. An HDD. It was supposed to hold 12 eggs but will only hold 8 properly so I gave the extras to my friend who has a broody. I ordered a different incubator for next time, holds 24 eggs and has a clear window...this one has a tinted window which will be super annoying once chicks start (hopefully) hatching. It’s my first attempt at this and I feel like I’ve failed, lol.
Is it like this?
IMG_20200430_112021_01.jpg

Mine is the hdd 24 Chinese one andI am having humidity trouble, but also it was reading the temp at 37.6 and when I put a mercury thermometer in it said it was only 35 and the lid doesn't fit propley so I've had to weigh it down and u can't put too big of an egg in otherwise it can't turn as it catches on the lid and jams the try, so I'd save ur money and buy a decent one 👍

Mine is the hdd 24 Chinese one andI am having humidity trouble, but also it was reading the temp at 37.6 and when I put a mercury thermometer in it said it was only 35 and the lid doesn't fit propley so I've had to weigh it down and u can't put too big of an egg in otherwise it can't turn as it catches on the lid and jams the try, so I'd save ur money and buy a decent one 👍

Ha, yes.....hindsight right?? Same issue with the temperature!! We will see how this hatch goes.....if it goes at all. Lol. I’ve already ordered a new bigger better one for next time. I now have it set at 38.1 and the mercury is reading 99-ish so who knows. Trial and error!

For lockdown I will probably just put water in the middle of the smallest chamber, and cross my fingers.

Could this be why my first lot hatched just the 1 out of 7 and 5 fully formed chicks in feather dead in their shells?

Attachments

• IMG_20200502_154208.jpg
    IMG_20200502_154208.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20200502_154211.jpg
    IMG_20200502_154211.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom