Humidity question

Somshine

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
I live in SC and right now temps are cold at night and warm during the day. We don't use HVAC much this time of year. But the humidity here is higher. So our house fluctuates a lot. If I start my NR360 with water in the center the humidity will stay at about 57. If I do dry it fluctuates a lot but stays a bit lower. If you start with water but decide it's too high so let the water run dry is that worse than leaving it higher but stable? I feel like my hatch rates were better putting water in the center even if it stayed 50-57 than when I did a dry hatch. But I'm not sure if it was the lower humidity on the dry hatch or just the fact that running a dry hatch here fluctuates so much.

No, it doesn't matter. Humidity should be adjusted so the eggs lose a certain amount of moisture by the end. If they aren't losing enough then use less water, if they're losing too much add more.

9e81aeed40d93c429ee1d747e1f13d08.jpg

No, it doesn't matter. Humidity should be adjusted so the eggs lose a certain amount of moisture by the end. If they aren't losing enough then use less water, if they're losing too much add more.

View attachment 3777823
Okay so it's been going for not quite a day yet. But I started it with water. It's been sitting at about 55 to 57. Would it hurt it to just let it go dry at this point and go from there?

I also decided to wrap a towel around the sides, but left an opening for the top piece air holes and water tray. Since it gets warm in here during the day and chilly at night I thought that would insulate it a little better from fluctuations. I feel like it will help with humidity fluctuation as well since the heat having to go on and off seems to affect it as well. I feel like with my ambient temperature in my house fluctuating so much and the fact that the NR360 has poor insulation that would help stabilize everything.

Here's how it's wrapped. So I'm thinking if I keep it wrapped and it's okay to just let the water run out maybe the humidity will stay a little bit lower but not fluctuate as much as it does when it's dry but unwrapped.

Attachments

• 17110372878043272578476437236152.jpg
    17110372878043272578476437236152.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 4
I run my incubator completely dry for the first 18 days. I live in Nova Scotia and it's alway really humid here. Then bring it up just over 50% for the last 3 days. Once they start hatching the humidity skyrockets.

Idk if wrapping the incu is a great idea, but i havent used that particular one before. Just be careful when you take the wrap off that you dont drop it or bump it too hard.

I run my incubator completely dry for the first 18 days. I live in Nova Scotia and it's alway really humid here. Then bring it up just over 50% for the last 3 days. Once they start hatching the humidity skyrockets.

Idk if wrapping the incu is a great idea, but i havent used that particular one before. Just be careful when you take the wrap off that you dont drop it or bump it too hard.
It's just not insulated like some of the more expensive ones. But by day four I can definitely tell keeping it wrapped is keeping it much more stable. It's keeping the humidity lower too. I think the heater having to fight harder to keep the temperature stable definitely increases the humidity. Uncovered it would even go up to 60. Now it's staying around 47. I'm making sure the air holes are not covered. Now I've seen that some people knit jackets for them and have other cool covers. They're all pricey though so I'll just stick with the towel. The viewing is really cool on these things. But I think they should come with a cover for if you're more worried about keeping them stable than staring at them all the time.

Back
Top Bottom