Humidity Question

LarissaCluck

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 11, 2011
Central Coast, CA
So the outside humidity level right now is 60-80 percent. I am getting ready to set a hatch tomorrow night. Is this going to mess with my eggs? I put a little water in my incubator and am warming it up to temperature, and its sitting about 75%. Is this really bad?

I would want to lower the humidity a bit. I run my lockdown at 57% -60 and my incubation is at 45-50 I'm a bit lower than a lot of people, but it works for me. My chicks are hatching right now. Just don't open that bator during the lockdown. My temp is right at 99.5 for a forced air incubator.

Last edited:
your eggs aren't in there yet are they? Try blowing the interior of the bator with a hair dryer on high heat, dispense any moisture on the interior walls. Day 1-18 you really don't want your humidity over 45 maybe 50% tops. then boost to 60+% after day 18

good luck.

I like dry incubation

so I keep humidity 40 - 45 for 18 days and 65 the las 3 days

60 is way to high

the best thing to do before you put the eggs is

run the incubator without water for 24 hours with the hydrometer inside to get the actual humidity in your house

after you get that reading , add water if needed

add water in small quantity , measure by spoons

add 1 spoon and wait for 1 hour get the reading to find out how much humidity 1 spoon will give you

and this way you keep adding until you get the humidity you want

if your incubator is empty now , open it and dry the water with paper towels and start allover again

if your incubator is full of eggs

open the vents until humidity lowers by itself

hope this helps

Nope, no eggs in it yet. Took it apart and took out all the water and am running it now. My hygrometer read 40 in my house so hopefully it will get back down and then I can add a little if need be.

Thanks everyone. M

Back
Top Bottom