Humidity question

Poohb10454

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 3, 2012
Savannah TN
I am about to start my first hatch. We have the incubator forced air, with egg turner. I plugged it in earlier this morning and was going to let it set for a few days so we could figure out how to properly regulate temp and humidity. I seem to have the temp where I need it, but the humidity is 70% with no water. I had a little bit of water in the bottom, but the humidity went to 80%, so, I removed all of the water and it is still quite high. Is this something that will come down?

I have read quite a few articles on BYC about incubating but the only thing I feel a little unsure about still is the humidity.

Thanks in advance!

Are you going by a built in gauge? Those aren't usually very reliable. At least the one on mine isn't and I have read many others with the same complaint. I would get something like this http://www.amazon.com/IncuThermTM-D...upplies_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=11BA7RNZP40WXNC5GGBG

You can get them cheaper and multiple places carry them, even wal-mart. I not only keep one in my incubator but I also keep one on the nightstand in the room where my bator is. I know if that one goes up or down my humidity in my bator will as well.

Yes, it is built in. I have one I ordered from amazon....It just isn't here yet. I was hoping to set eggs Saturday. I checked walmart yesterday and they were sold out. I may check walmart again tomorrow and see if they got any in stock. I don't think mine will make it by Saturday. It's not marked shipped yet.

How hard is it to regulate temperature overall? Is it something that fluctuates a lot? When you add water, how much do you typically add? I am so scared I will mess this part up

Yes, it is built in. I have one I ordered from amazon....It just isn't here yet. I was hoping to set eggs Saturday. I checked walmart yesterday and they were sold out. I may check walmart again tomorrow and see if they got any in stock. I don't think mine will make it by Saturday. It's not marked shipped yet.

How hard is it to regulate temperature overall? Is it something that fluctuates a lot? When you add water, how much do you typically add? I am so scared I will mess this part up
I didn't have any problems with mine getting regulated. I have the FI 4200 Pro series.

I followed this method of incubation. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method

Now mind you I am on my first hatch, day 19 today, so I can't give any actual "results" yet.

Oh and when I did have to add water when I first set it up, I used a tiny dropper and just dropped a couple drips in. I didn't want it going under 25 as in the link below. I didn't put any water in the channels until today for lock down.

Okay thanks! That is the same one I have. I shouldn't have added any water in the beginning. How much did you put in for lockdown?

As long as your humidity in your house is close to 50% you shouldn't need any water, if so VERY minimal, like drips. Or you could use something small like a little pepto medicine cup.

For lockdown I have a tube that runs down into the rectangle shape center reservoir, it is attached to a syringe so I can fill mine w/o opening it. I also have a 1/4 of a piece of wet sponge directly below one of my plug wholes so I can add water to that too w/o opening, increasing surface area.

Last edited:
Thanks. I also have tubing and a syringe, just seemed like a much easier approach. This morning the humidity was down to 40% so, it must have just remained high because of how high it started out. Planning to set eggs tomorrow...I am nervous lol. We will see how it goes. Temp has stayed very stable.

I just got a notice that my hygrometer shipped today. So, to be safe I think I'll go check around local and find one and then just have an extra.

Thanks. I also have tubing and a syringe, just seemed like a much easier approach. This morning the humidity was down to 40% so, it must have just remained high because of how high it started out. Planning to set eggs tomorrow...I am nervous lol. We will see how it goes. Temp has stayed very stable.

I just got a notice that my hygrometer shipped today. So, to be safe I think I'll go check around local and find one and then just have an extra.
When you remove the lid to set the eggs some of the humidity will escape so that will help.

I woke up to 4 external pips this morning
wee.gif

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom