Humidity-sometimes ya just can't beat it.

Aart, you lost 2 to the weather??? Wow. That is rough. Who's left?
One that died was a CCL pullet, was suffering from the cold, lethargic for a few days.... I should have brought her in sooner. SMH<kick!>

Older hen was brought in after a day of lethargy for a few hours, gave her and the rest of the flock some savachik and she perked right back up.

Another older hen who had something wrong with her throat for a year or more, she made croaking sounds frequently, but was active and laid, died in the night a couple days after the savachick dose.

Livestock/deadstock....sometimes we can help, other times not.
15 birds remain 7 hens, 7 pullets, 1 cockerel.
All the pullets seem good, couple of hens are molting medium hard.
<crossesfingers>

Aart, that's quite a lot of water up there.
Even before the condensation this morning, it's been humid ever since the weather got out of the 20's, the bedding is damp, the air is damp, the sound of the 'rain' falling from the eaves is almost as maddening as watching the snow fall for days on end. The weather outside is frightful.

Even before the condensation this morning, it's been humid ever since the weather got out of the 20's, the bedding is damp, the air is damp, the sound of the 'rain' falling from the eaves is almost as maddening as watching the snow fall for days on end. The weather outside is frightful.
I don't envy you. I'll stick with my double digit negatives.

Ouch ccl. I'm sorry to hear that.
We got our October hatch silkies in the laying coop just before it got cold here. So far there doing ok. We still are stuck with November and December's hatches in the house. We had them out yesterday, it got to mid 60. But now it's sleeting. So not sure when they get out. Lessen in all this is no hatches after October. Lol
Scott

Ouch ccl. I'm sorry to hear that.
We got our October hatch silkies in the laying coop just before it got cold here. So far there doing ok. We still are stuck with November and December's hatches in the house. We had them out yesterday, it got to mid 60. But now it's sleeting. So not sure when they get out. Lessen in all this is no hatches after October. Lol
Scott
July's my cutoff. Tried hatching end of August once... thought it was still okay... nope. Huge frostbite headache all winter long.

Back
Top Bottom