Humidity temperature for hatching eggs?

whatisthis

In the Brooder
May 11, 2021
At first I thought I knew everything about incubating eggs, but it seems that the more I read the more I am confused? Some people say to put the humidity as low as 40, and others say no less then 55. I even see people putting it as high as 70 for the first few days! So which one is it??? Is 50 okay? Is it better to be less or more on humidity? And what about temperature? I've heard 99.5f but some people say it HAS to be 99.8. I even had this website telling me 100.5, or is that for still air? What best humidity and temperature is best for you? I'm talking about wet hatches, but if you do better with dry hatches please tell me! I'm doing chicken eggs by the way. Thank you!

Last edited:
At first I thought I knew everything about incubating eggs, but it seems that the more I read the more I am confused? Some people say to put the humidity as low as 40, and others say no less then 55. I even see people putting it as high as 70 for the first few days! So which one is it??? Is 50 okay? Is it better to be less or more on humidity? And what about temperature? I've heard 99.5f but some people say it HAS to be 99.8. I even had this website telling me 100.5, or is that for still air? What best humidity and temperature is best for you? I'm talking about wet hatches, but if you do better with dry hatches please tell me! I'm doing chicken eggs by the way. Thank you!
If its for chicken eggs, I personally use 45-50% for the first 17 days and 65-70% for the lockdown period. I think some people like a dry hatch though

If its for chicken eggs, I personally use 45-50% for the first 17 days and 65-70% for the lockdown period. I think some people like a dry hatch though
should the temperature change between the 18 days to lockdown? I've heard 38c for 18 days and 37.5c for lockdown. (100f and 99.5f)

It’s mostly what works for you. I personally do 25-35% humidity for days 1-16. On Day 17 I got to 40% Roughly and then days 18+ I do 45-55% Humidity. It works pretty well! I had all of mine develop, and had 5/9 hatch. I think my humidity was a bit too high on this one. Usually it works better. I tried to higher to humidity to see if it worked better, and I raised it to 65-75% sooo dont do that! As for temp.. if you have a still air, 100-101 F is perfect. If using forced air, 99.5- no more that 100 is perfect.

Thanks so much for the replies! Here's a bit if a summary then:

Wet hatch:
humidity 18 days - (40 - 60)
humidity lockdown - (65 - 75)

Dry hatch:
humidity 18 days - (15 - 30)
humidity lockdown - (40 - 65)

Temperature:
Circulated air - (98.5 - 99.5)
Still air - (100 - 102)

I've calculated the averages between all the numbers online. If anyone would like to use it go ahead! I made it into a chart so it's easier to read. Please tell me if there is anything you would like to add, change, or fix.

I'll attach a picture as well to help keep track.
FA2E2EBA-7FD8-4FCF-A74A-DF009EA791F1.gif

Does it matter what kind of Chickens eggs? I have Maran eggs and I have read they take higher temps and no humidity.

What is a dry hatch?
Dry hatch is where you keep the humidity relatively low or closer to ambient humidity rather than adding a bunch of water to increase humidity. There's some debate on which is more effective.

So long as the air cell expands at about the right rate, I'm not sure it matters a whole lot.

I don't think it matters what type of chicken egg you're incubating, bit I also haven't heard that about Marans. I have two Maran eggs in my incubator right now at 37-40% humidity and 99.5, so 🤷‍♂️ idk

Back
Top Bottom