Humidity under a hen. A scientific report with a table

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Guinea Goonie, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Gezzz, it took me FOREVER to get this to the point where I could publish it on the BYC. Don't ask, it was probably not the best way, but here it is.

I looked up a scientific paper on humidity conditions under a broody hen. Well of course it went on and on in scientific mumbo jumbo, but at the end of the paper in the dicriptions and tables I found this. Enjoy

[​IMG]

Oh and I put it in my BYC pages under "humidity" so one does not have to go looking for this thread.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2009
  2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG]

This is totally awesome!!! Thank you for giving us this info!!!

Cindy

3. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    That's really interesting.

Im mostly curious about how those numbers might vary depending on what the local ambiant temperatures and humidity are. For instance, I would imagine that the humidity level would be substantially lower in an arid environment, such as the Southwestern areas of the U.S., as compared to the more humid Southeastern areas. But perhaps not. [​IMG]

What do you think?

I find it rather difficult in my dry climate to maintain anything over 55% humidity in an incubator with circulated air unless I plug up the vent holes.

chel

4. Hi Rimshoes! Thanks for taking the trouble to find that.
    It's interesting that the humidity is always so high.
    Does it say where the study was done and what was the ambient humidity compared to humidity under the hen?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

5. Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2009
  6. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    How interesting, I'm going to read the whole paper as soon as I get time. I sure hope the writing isn't as bad throughout! I was looking at a remote probe myself a few months ago with the idea of hiding it in Charlotte's nest, Steven's evil half-Silkie incubator. Thank you for taking the time to look this up and post it for us.

7. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    That is interesting! thanks so much for posting it!

8. Suellyn

Suellyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2008
    SouthWestern PA
    I'm surprised at how high the humidity is, too... I know that humidity levels are a hotly debated topic, but in ALL the debates/discussions I have read, I have NEVER heard of anyone running humidity in the high 80's to low 90's% in days 1 thru 18.. ???????

Would think the eggs/hens would be drippy wet/soaked!!!! [​IMG]

Interesting but confusing.....

9. Nathan

Nathan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Camas, WA, USA
    One thing I'm curious about is:

At day 18, we raise the humidity and stop turning.

What does a broody hen do, if anything to raise the humidity, and does she stop turning? How does she know when to do that?

10. Hi!
    I believe that study was done in Bangladesh and a quick search told me an average humidity was in the high 80's (then the site caused my computer to lock and I had to shut everything down).

[​IMG]
    Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by