Humidity was 65-75%, then they started hatching & it is 80-90%

LA~Poulet

Songster
13 Years
Apr 27, 2009
near Lake Charles, LA
I had checked my thermometer/gauge before starting and it correctly showed 75% in the salt/water ziploc test...

With it that high is it dangerous to the chicks? Some that hatched this morning still aren't looking very fluffy.

The humidity is keeping them dampened and it could cause them to have pnuemonia. This is only my opinion and from my own experience. Being to high could also cause your other eggs not to hatch.

Last edited:
The water is in the grooves at the bottom of the incubator. Should I go ahead and remove the chicks that hatched already, put them under a light in a brooder, and dry it out, or would that be hurtful to them & the eggs remaining? I don't have a hatcher, but do have a warming light they will be under in a tub type brooder. I was under the impression they needed to stay in the incubator awhile (or is that only for the good of the eggs still needing to hatch?

I don't want all these babies to get pneumonia!

I usually move mine out a couple hours after they hatch. I put them in a tub with a heat lamp on them and straw/shavings in the bottom (which ever is handy).

Back
Top Bottom