Humidity way too high!

TommieW

Chirping
Jun 14, 2022
So I got a hygrometer today and I put it in my incubator, at first it was saying that I was at 80% humidity. I cleared some of the water from the wells and it turned out to be about 4 ounces, But the hygrometer is still saying 77%. If I take any more water out it’ll basically be empty. Do you think this accurate, or do you think there could be something wrong with this hygrometer?
I’m on day 12

Attachments

• 58AA4266-E250-47EB-AD28-2B3B934C6197.jpeg
    58AA4266-E250-47EB-AD28-2B3B934C6197.jpeg
    384.3 KB · Views: 22
If the hygrometer hasn't been calibrated it could be wrong.

It's not the amount of water in the wells that controls humidity, it is surface area. The more wet surface area the more water can evaporate so the higher the humidity. You need to remove all the water from one or more of the wells for humidity to drop. Then you have to give it enough time for those wells to dry out. The humidity won't drop until they are dry. It can take a while for humidity to stabilize.

If I spill water when filling my wells the humidity spikes until that spilled water dries up.

If the hygrometer hasn't been calibrated it could be wrong.

It's not the amount of water in the wells that controls humidity, it is surface area. The more wet surface area the more water can evaporate so the higher the humidity. You need to remove all the water from one or more of the wells for humidity to drop. Then you have to give it enough time for those wells to dry out. The humidity won't drop until they are dry. It can take a while for humidity to stabilize.

If I spill water when filling my wells the humidity spikes until that spilled water dries up.
It didn’t come with any instructions just A hygrometer in a little box (eBay)maybe I should try and Google how to calibrate it?

look up on here how to calibrate a hygrometer. You can do it overnight. but basically take a bottlecap, fill with salt add a bit of water to just wet the salt but have no excess water. put it in a baggie. stand that hygrometer up next to it (don't lay it flat). try to get air out. after 8 hrs I think it is it should read 75%. if it is different just adjust it in your head etc. So say it reads 90% then it is off by 15% so subtract that from what it reads in your incubator. or if it reads 70 then you add 5 to what it says in the incubator. There are MUCH better instructions on here than mine though.

What kind of incubator do you have? is there a vent? if so have that opened all the way.

look up on here how to calibrate a hygrometer. You can do it overnight. but basically take a bottlecap, fill with salt add a bit of water to just wet the salt but have no excess water. put it in a baggie. stand that hygrometer up next to it (don't lay it flat). try to get air out. after 8 hrs I think it is it should read 75%. if it is different just adjust it in your head etc. So say it reads 90% then it is off by 15% so subtract that from what it reads in your incubator. or if it reads 70 then you add 5 to what it says in the incubator. There are MUCH better instructions on here than mine though.

What kind of incubator do you have? is there a vent? if so have that opened all the way.
Yeah I have a little here I didn’t have much luck. This is the incubator that I have it does not have a vent… I also attached a picture of a hygrometer

Attachments

• 8AF87179-35B1-48C5-A8A5-82B7FF3A0FF9.jpeg
    8AF87179-35B1-48C5-A8A5-82B7FF3A0FF9.jpeg
    413.8 KB · Views: 2
  • DBEBA916-DBC4-4CCF-B2CE-293674DAB4DB.jpeg
    DBEBA916-DBC4-4CCF-B2CE-293674DAB4DB.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 2
Yeah I have a little here I didn’t have much luck. This is the incubator that I have it does not have a vent… I also attached a picture of a hygrometer
I would calibrate the hygrometer. that is the kind that I have and you can check it. While you can't adjust what it is showing you will know if it is off or not. I will try to find my post when I was doing mine and tag you in it.

I would calibrate the hygrometer. that is the kind that I have and you can check it. While you can't adjust what it is showing you will know if it is off or not. I will try to find my post when I was doing mine and tag you in it.
I did the process where you wrap it in a wet towel for 30 minutes, and it should be at exactly 100% when you unwrap it and if it’s not then you just adjust a accordingly… This one was at 95% so it’s off by about 5%. It’s been back in the incubator for about two hours and it’s still saying that the humidity is 81% so adjusted that that would be 76%. At this point there’s pretty much no water in there so I don’t know what to do…

Back
Top Bottom