Humidity while hatching?

Bettacreek

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Central Pennsyltucky
Humidity needs to be high when eggs are hatching, but I'm wondering, if you've got a huge batch, can you go in once or twice to remove some of the chicks? If everything goes right, I should have at least 100 coturnix eggs and some button eggs in the bator at the same time, and I'm going to assume that they'll hatch within 2-3 days of each other, even if put in at the "correct" time for them to hatch out on the same day, so, how often should you remove excess chicks? Should you try to remove shells as well, or would that take too much time and release too much humidity?

What kind of incubator is that.

You could ruin the hatch for eggs not hatched yet if you keep opening and sticking a hand in. You can take the chance if you have to - if they're crowded in there perhaps don't put so many in the bator next time.

Don't take out any chicks till they're dry.

100 eggs in the bator sounds like a hova or LG.. If you have room for 100 eggs,then you have room for 100hatchlings..

do not open the bator for any reason.. there is no need to..

on the required day to stop them turning , take them out of the auto turner and remove it from the bator.. that is the last time you should open the turner until the 3rd day after the first one hatches.

this is how I do it.. out of 20,000 members, I am sure you will get a few other opinions.. In the end it is up to you what you want to do..

It's a DIY bator. There should be plenty of room, I just wasn't sure if the hatched chicks would start to disturb the unhatched/hatching eggs if there got to be too many in there. Do they poop after hatching? Thanks again.
smile.png

yes they will make a mess all over the inside of the bator, i like for mine to run around inside the bator, it make the ones that have not hatched start too or at least that what it looks like anyhoo. good luck

Back
Top Bottom