Humidity

JDonn127

Songster
Jun 25, 2020
Bucks County Pa
I just installed a wireless thermometer and humidity system with 3 wireless sensors. I placed 1 sensor outside 1 sensor in run that is covered with plastic and one inside the coop. Im basically concerned with the humidity levels.... right now they are within a few % of each other... I am guessing that once the chickens are in the coop and the door is closed the level will change....my question is at what point of change inside the coop should I be concerned
This is what I installed

Attachments

• 47FE42B3-E491-449D-8BCD-5FA7148CF677.png
    47FE42B3-E491-449D-8BCD-5FA7148CF677.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
I don’t think there’s a humidity level that interferes with chicken health at all. As someone from the south, I can tell you that atmospheric humidity levels literally cannot be any higher during the summer months here and chickens carry on as normal. If it’s the coop you’re worried about, I would definitely install ventilation given the details you gave. If the coop has a humidity very different from the outside, those chickens need more ventilation or it can cause respiratory illnesses.

Im am monitoring the humidity level in the coop to make sure there is enough ventilation....right now its reading 43% in the empty coop with pop door open....should it stay the same once the chickens are in for the night and door is closed. I should add that the outside humidity is also reading 43%. Should the two levels always be the same?

Ohhh I gotcha. That’s pretty smart! No they don’t necessarily have to be the same as long as it fluctuates according to the outside (indicating good ventilation). As long as they’re gauging similar levels and there’s not drastic differences, I’d say you’re good!

I believe that relative humidity inside the coop should be 50% - 70% during winter nights, according to the Chicken Chick. Best thing to do is to monitor it for a while, notice how it changes with the weather, high winds, high sunshine days, etc. If your coop is very tall/large, you might consider placing one sensor where the chickens roost, and another opposite that space, maybe near the door, to see what the range is across the coop.

Im am monitoring the humidity level in the coop to make sure there is enough ventilation....right now its reading 43% in the empty coop with pop door open....should it stay the same once the chickens are in for the night and door is closed. I should add that the outside humidity is also reading 43%. Should the two levels always be the same?
I’d say the inside humidity should be equal to or less than the outside. Was curious myself as to what was happening inside my setup, so I did what you did and installed temp/humidity sensors in the coop, run, and outside. In my case, coop humidity is about equal to outside during the day, when the door to the run is open, but actually is less than outside at night when that door is closed and all the girls are on the roost. Not sure what magic is happening there. Maybe my coop ventilation is more efficient when the run door is closed.

Back
Top Bottom