humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by smokeyodie97, Jul 1, 2010.

1. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    I have 10 eggs in incubator i'm sort of worried about the humidity how do i rasie the humidity without a hydrometer:confused:

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    A hygrometer does not raise or lower humidity. It only measures it so that you know your humidity is accurate. I would recommend investing in one if you don't have one; local pet stores should have one in the reptiles section for the change between your couch cushions.

As for how to raise humidity, adding in a wet sponge in a tupperware or soaked paper towels/washcloths is a good way until you have your desired humidity.

3. Doodle_Doo

Doodle_Doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri City, TX
    Yes true a wet sponge or something that will hold moisture will do great also keep good ventilation because high moisture in a badly air curculated bator cause also do much harm..a hydrometer also yes in a pet store or find one on ebay many models there and some with great prices.

4. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Walmart carries inexpensive ones, about $7-8 each. I have two different kinds I bought there, they read withing 1-2% of each other. The black one is more sensitive (sorry, I don't know the brand), I use it alone during lockdown. You will find then with the thermometers. Use good batteries.

I have had lousy results from the el cheapo pet store ones. Good luck!

5. smokeyodie97

smokeyodie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    MISSISSIPPI
    I put a sham wow towle in there i still got a little while till lockdown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by