Humidity

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Minsara, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Minsara

Minsara Out Of The Brooder

Today is the 17th day of my incubation and my humidity is 70%.Is this humidity is ok for incubation day 17.In first 15 days humidity is also 70%.How I reduce humidity.are my eggs will hatch.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. I'm glad you decided to join our flock. You don't need to reduce the humidity. Actually the ideal humidity for the last 3 days should be about 80-85%, but as long as you are within 10-15% of that, your chicks should hatch okay. There is a good article on incubating your eggs at http://shilala.homestead.com/incubating.html that will give you all the information you need. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

70% during incubation was a bit too high. You know when your humidity is proper when your eggs lose a certain amount of weight during the cycle. You want your air cell at the top of the egg to grow enough so that when the chicks pip there is enough room and air in the air chamber. So you might candle your eggs to see how large the air cell has gotten. Here is a nice diagram as to how the air cell should be growing...

[​IMG]

Along with the article that Michael has left for you, you might also stop by our Incubating and Hatching Eggs forums for more help with your hatch....https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

You will want to keep your humidity up during lock down however to keep the shells soft and the chicks from sticking to the inside of the egg.

Good luck with your hatch and welcome to our flock!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2014
  4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

70% is a good humidity for hatching. Generally, you want the humidity to be 60-70% for the last three days. Up until that point, it's best if it is 50-60%.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

70% is fine for the three days or so before hatching. However, it is a little high during most of the incubation period. At this point, there isn't much you can do. For future hatches, though, I would recommend adding less water to your incubator's humidity system.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Good luck with your hatch. If the humidity in the area where you are is too high (happens in the spring especially sometimes), you can run a dehumidifier in the room the incubator is in. Be sure you have as many vents as you can have open and still keep the temperature stable if you are having really high humidity problems also.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Chicks can drown in the shell if humidity is way too high, conversely if it is too low, they can become "shrink wrapped," to the inside of the shell.

8. Minsara

Minsara Out Of The Brooder

Thank you for all reply.but in my incubator there are no water trays.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good luck! I'm no help with incubating.

10. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! The members here are great and so are their chickens;)!!! This is the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM ON EARTH!!!!

Hope you have fun and if you need anything we are here to help!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by