Humming Bird question

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by donjr, May 8, 2011.

1. donjr

donjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    When it visits the feeder, it will make a clicking noise. Sounds a little like a cricket. And the humming from its wings gets real loud. Is it a mating thing?

2. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Hummers make a LOT of sounds, some vocal, some with their wings. They are all about TERRITORY, which of course has to do with mating. The chirp you are hearing is both a contented thing and a way of saying "MINE, MINE!!!". Ounce for ounce, they are belligerent little buggers.

They are a blast to watch, very entertaining.

3. donjr

donjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2010
    Yes, there is always 2 humming birds out there when I hear these noises. And thank you.

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

wood&feathers :

Hummers make a LOT of sounds, some vocal, some with their wings. They are all about TERRITORY, which of course has to do with mating. The chirp you are hearing is both a contented thing and a way of saying "MINE, MINE!!!". Ounce for ounce, they are belligerent little buggers.

They are a blast to watch, very entertaining.

[​IMG] We love watching their aerial dog fights ~ we have noted that if they were much larger it wouldn't be safe to go outside when they were around. They just returned to our yard the beginning of the week and will be here through the middle of September. I keep at least 4 feeders going on different side of the house as often 1 male will guard a feeder and chase the others away.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by