Hummingbird pics *important update for 2010 p.4*

Last year we had 2 males and 4 females, this year its 3 males and 5 females - my favorite male is back this year
smile.png
I know he's the same one because it does the same thing crazy nut will see me filling feeder and will fly right up to my hair and buzz the lower bits of my hair, he once sat on my head. *rolls eyes* its quite funny though. I don't know how long they live but this guys has been around 3 summers so far. I hope my numbers stay the same or hopefully increase. I love to watch the humming bird wars go from one side of the yard to the porch and back
wink.png
its great fun to see who wins.

Quote:
I agree!!! never more than 2-3!!!!!!!!!! and i can't believe they are actually MORE than one feeder that FULL!

Did you know that Rockport Texas has a really great Hummingbird and Bird festival in September? Here's a link: http://www.rockporthummingbird.com/ We have tons of himmingbirds around feeders like those in the pics on the first page in September before the first cold fronts make it down. Check out the site; its a good, informative program with speakers from all over the country.

Edited to add that we have 'hummer homes' where you just drive up, get out and watch the hummers like in the youtube videos on the site. They really swarm just like that.

Last edited:
The hummingbird festival sounds like a lot of fun! Here in Oregon the long cold wet spring was very tough on the rufous hummingbirds. The females usually raise 2 clutches of 2 chicks but very few managed to fledge this spring. Normally between mid-June to mid-July when they start to migrate I go through 2 quarts of sugar water a day. This year I am barely going through a pint a week. Don't know if these are the same rufous that pass through N.M. Hope the hummingbirds can rebound next year.
Gold finches and grosbeaks chicks did well and the Vaux's swifts in the chimney fledged a few days ago. So neat listening to those chicks learning to fly, don't dare open the damper while they are practicing!

Back
Top Bottom