Hummingbird pics *important update for 2010 p.4*

The camera is a Cannon 7.1 mega pixel Powershot s70. I just love it! It is small enough to go in my pocket and I always carry it in my purse when I am out just in case, I was able to get the photo below last month on a trip to a friends house. The camera has an auto focus, it works well whan the feeders are in the shot. I try to take pics without the feeder by focusing on the feeder then moving the camera off a bit and waiting for a hummingbird to come into the frame. About one in 50 shots like that is "good" quality. The pictures are shot before dawn because the flash freezes the wing action. We have the following species of hummingbirds: Black-chinned, Rufous, Broad-tailed and Calliope. I have had an Annas once, and Magnificent are in the area, though I have not seen one here in the yard. There are resorts near here that cater to birders, but we have as many here at home as they do, we are a world famous birding destination.
wee.gif

It can be a pain filling feeders all the time, we are always glad to see these guys leave us in the fall. I am amazed that by having the chickens up close I am learning more about birds in general. I encourage anyone who loves watching the birds to participate in Project Feederwatch run by Cornell University.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/
I have been in it for nine years now and appreciate having data on my yard birds. I can track trends on species and numbers, and I like being a part of citizen based science. I hope a few of you can make time for the birds!
Hummingbirdbabbies.jpg

Quote:
Zenbirder, thank you for plugging Feederwatch! I've been Feederwatching for the Cornell program for the last three years and it is SO much fun. I'd feed the birds in my yard regardless, but it feels very cool to rack up counts and also to catch the first birds of the season as they move back into town. It's also fun to explore the data on Feederwatch's website.

Amy

Spectacular!

I just moved away from the hummingbird oasis garden that I planted and tended for almost 10 years. Every year we had more Rufous's. This past winter we even had a couple of Anna's that wintered over with us. We hadn't seen it that cold in many years . . . down to 20's at night for quite a stretch. I kept those birds well-fed by rotating feeders inside to thaw during the day, but I still lost sleep worrying about them at night. LOL. I'm really going to worry about them this winter if it gets cold again.
sad.png

Fascinating. I had no idea that hummingbirds reared young so late in the year in New Mexico. Here in NC they do it early and everyone spends the rest of the year bulking up to fly south across the Gulf of Mexico to the Yucatan Pennisula.

Truly amazing photos. You should submit them to nature magazines. We have hummingbirds here but I've never seen more than two at a time. I did see one the other day that was so small I couldn't believe it. It had a black throat with red and was only about as big as the tip of my pinkie. I could barely see, just a sense of something fluttering. When it landed on a branch I could see how small it was - about the length of a bumble bee but skinnier. Beautiful creatures. Thanks for posting the pics.

I love the nest shot! I have only four hummers this year and I love to watch them!

Back
Top Bottom