Hunched over chicken

Mar 23, 2018
Worthington, MA
Hello Everyone!

So I have been searching before posting this because I wanted to see if I could solve my sick chickens issue on my own...but I can't.

My EE Eggo (about 8 months old)has been keeping to herself for the week. Drinking water, wandering around, pecking at food and scratch on the ground but she'll put it in her mouth and just drop it. I separated her this morning and gave her water and yogurt. She at a little bit of the yogurt and has been drinking a lot of water. I heard grumblings in her belly (i think thats what it was). I watched her for a bit and she pooped - not a lot at all though (because she hasn't been eating). I checked her crop and it's not big or weird and it wasn't large when she came out of the coop this morning. I'm at a loss. She's aware of things but she is just standing about, hunched over. What else can I do for her? Should I give her something else other than yogurt? I'm so worried about her and I've tried asking for help on my FB chicken group but no one has answered me. I just want my little girl to get well.

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

How does her crop feel—empty, full, hard, or puffy. Can you feel of it early in the morning to make sure that it is empty as it should normally be? Do your chickens have granite grit available to help digest food? What do her droppings look like? If you have some NutriDrench or other vitamin/electrolytes to give her, that would be good.

Can you get some fresh droppings checked for parasites by a vet tomorrow? That would look for any types of worms or coccidiosis that might be happening. It sounds like she has a crop, gizzard, or intestinal problem. If you cannot get the fecal test, I would worm her with SafeGuard 1/4 ml per pound once and again in 10 days. Valbazen 1/2-3/4 ml orally would also be a good alternative, then repeat in 10 days.

Her crop is empty. I felt around and there was nothing weird going on. I do have grit available to them plus there are lots of wee stones on the ground that they pick up when they scratch about. There is no weird smell coming from her either. Her poop is dark, minimal and very loose.

I put some Nutridrench in her water. Should I possibly give her some scrambled egg to see if she eats that?

Sure! You can also entice with wet feed in case that helps, I nursed a chick back to health that wouldn't eat feed (impacted crop, a rescue chick) by giving her water through syringe dropped on the edge of beak and stage 2 baby food.

I hear coccidiocis only happens to little chicks so it won't be that.

Sure! You can also entice with wet feed in case that helps, I nursed a chick back to health that wouldn't eat feed (impacted crop, a rescue chick) by giving her water through syringe dropped on the edge of beak and stage 2 baby food.

I hear coccidiocis only happens to little chicks so it won't be that.
No...It happens to all ages of Chickens.

Coccidiosis happens usually to young birds under several months old, but can be a problem in older birds who are debilitated or immune-compromised. There are some strains that may be chronic and can cause a faliure to gain weight and develop. We have seen recent necropsy results here on birds who died, and coccidia has been found to be a contributing factor.

The best way to find out is to get a fecal test done at most vets. My regular vet doesn’t necessarily treat chickens, but would do a fecal float. Giving a round of amprollium or Corid in the water to treat coccidiosis can be safely done if no fecal test is available.

Well there was loose stool mentioned but not bloody which is the main sign

E tenella infections are found only in the ceca and can be recognized by accumulation of blood in the ceca and by bloody droppings. Cecal cores, which are accumulations of clotted blood, tissue debris, and oocysts, may be found in birds surviving the acute stage.

Here is the link to help you rule out or figure out that disease :) hope she gets better!

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

There is definitely no blood in her stool. I can’t get a fecal right now unfortunately.

I gave her some mealworms and she ate them up right away! I also gave her some of their favorite greens from the yard and she ate that too. When she pooped it was mainly water (because before that she was only drinking). She was more alert and her comb is red again. I put her back with the flock, she’s still wandering about but she’s eating more things on the ground (scratch, mealworms). Unfortunately she’s not moving as fast as the other chickens so they’re getting to some of the treats I give faster than she is. When they all run up to the gate door to greet me, she comes up as well but is behind them all. Yesterday she wasn’t coming up to the gate at all and was just staying by herself. Maybe she’s getting better? It’s gotten pretty cold suddenly at night these past two nights (35F) I feel kind of helpless at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom