hung chichens

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by united, Jun 14, 2010.

1. united

united Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    I saw this artikle:"Birds hung in the butcher's for at least three days have a much better flavour; most frozen birds aren't hung". What is the right way for this technique?

2. Menmyrc

Menmyrc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Maricopa, AZ
    "Hanging" is a butcher's term. Meat in a butcher shop is hung in a walk-in box (a large, walk-in refrigerator) and hung from metal hooks to age. Most people around here call it "letting the chicken rest." You simply put it in the fridge for the amount of time you want. The range that I have read is typically around 1-3 days. This is to allow the rigor mortis to pass, which in turn will make the meat more tender. I have no experience yet with poultry yet (a few more weeks!) but with beef, lamb, venison, etc. it makes for better tasting meat as well.

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

*takes notes* Thanks for the heads up... I'm putting this note in my "Dream Farm Someday" file.

4. united

united Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2010
    But do they hang it without feathers? And do they cover it ( since most industrial cold room have fun to ciculate the air)?

5. scubaforlife

scubaforlife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    I just started doing this. I get back from processing and put the birds in the fridge for 24 hours min (sometimes 48), then freeze. I have found that the meat is more tender. They are in their little vac-packs all processed, just sitting in the fridge.

6. TimG

TimG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Maine
    Yes, the chickens are processed before aging, i.e. feathers and innards removed.

How it is aged is not uniform. Some people use a brine, some seal and put in the fridge, still others believe the chicken should be exposed to the air while aged (and have specific requirements for the humidity of said air).

To me, the strange part in all of this is that it used to be common in the US (and still is in many parts of the world) to kill a chicken and eat it the same day.

7. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    Quote:NOt so strange, as in the time that most people ate their own chickens, they didn't have refrigerators to age the birds in...better tough meat than salmonella!

8. Slinkytoys

Slinkytoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Black Forest
    Oh my! I can't tell you what came to mind when I read that title. [​IMG]
    Slinky

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:I thought the same thing! Especially since I just finished reading the thread, "chicken testicles!" [​IMG]

10. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    [​IMG]

so glad someone had the "balls" to say it first!!!

eta that makes no sense at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by