~ Hungarian Yellow~ New Pictures! 04/13/2011

call ducks

silver appleyard addict
13 Years
Mar 4, 2009
waterville , canada
So i think a few members here have fallowed the slow process of me getting Hungarian Yellow chickens.... I have a BIG update, i have succeed in getting myself 7 two week old chicks. The Prof. is coming up next thurs day and will be bring them then. Needless to say i am over joyed. Almost a year ago i have the worst hatch ever, 1 chick out of 60 eggs. That chick dying soon after words, That was when i new some thing was up with this breed.I hope that i have four pullets or more... These things are going to be pampered little chicks. I will up date with pictures when i get them, it has been a long way coming.
big_smile.png
With i am going to say less then 200 birds in NA, this is one of the hardest birds to find.

But, this is one of those "pick your poison" breeds, you can almost trace every Hungarian yellow (even those in Hungry) back to this line, as at one point was one of the only pure lines in the world. Back in the 1970's (or 80's) a poultry prof. From the UofS went to a large poultry convenction (i forget where) but he was talking to another person (or prof.) from hungry. This professer from hungry was exctited to learn that we had a true line in canada... one thing lead to another and soon a HUGE ammount of eggs were shipped to hungry with them only hatching 60 chicks, they had a very bad hatch. Would you like to know how many eggs were sent over? 6000 Hungarian Yellow eggs were sent over, yes 6000! only 60 hatched.

So this should be a fun project to under take
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Interesting thread.

I'm from the U.S., but live in Hungary. Funny, Americans spell it "hungry" all the time too, then they get it mixed up with "turkey" the other food related name for a distant land most people know nothing about.

Do you think the poor hatch rate is genetic or an issue with egg stability? I can't imagine that the trip to Hungary was all that easy for 6000 eggs! Especially depending on what time of year it was, and how carefully they handled the cargo. Sometimes things here don't work as well as we would expect in countries that haven't been through the social and political turmoil of an Eastern Block country. The airport here is small. I had 4 dogs shipped here when I moved here, and the paperwork and red tape is pretty insane.

Well I'm glad that you've got a start at least. Some of my Hungarian friends here think of Canada as the Promised Land, and would love to move there.

My son is in Szekesfehervar, Hungary right now.
We will be traveling there in January of 2012 to bring him home.
Do you think there is someway that I can bring some eggs back home with me?

Last edited:
Quote:
That i don't know. The first eggs were brought here by some students going to the UofS i think 40 years ago... So back then import /Export was not nearly as hard.
hmm.png

Quote:
Does Hungry ( how do you spell it?) have many now? I think low hatch rate is because of inbreeding, last fall this time i set 60 eggs and got one chick... that chick died 24 hours later so.... i need to "study" them.

Back
Top Bottom