Hungry or drake biting

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Snipes, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Snipes

Snipes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    I have three drakes, I don't know how I ended with with a male trio, but here I am. They are hand raised, very tame boys who live 1/2 in, 1/2 out. The first born, who has always been ahead of the game on development and is quickly gaining his adult feathers (they are all 14 weeks old), sometimes nips me, and I can't tell if he is just hungry or if it is aggression. I am trying to avoid over-feeding; today I had to force a lot of nap time and I compensate by the low amount of energy by a little less food. They like to veg out and watch tv just as much as they like to root around outside, so I am worried about obesity. Should I just go ahead and feed them whenever he bites at my hand and see if I stuff them, he will stop?

2. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I don't think he's nipping at you because he's hungry. My ducks (which are outside 100% of the time) wil do that if I pick them up. I don't really think it's agression, more like they're saying "Don't bother me right now---put me down!" I wouldn't feed the ducks every time he does this-----you're right about the obesity, and it could cause his nipping behavior to be reinforced (in other words, he'll get the idea to do it more so he gets food).

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Mine tried to do that and I gently tapped him on his bill. He stopped that really fast, because he does not like to be tapped on his bill. One of the girls tried that too and I did the same thing. They are allowed to nibble but not grab or bite.

4. Hattiegun

Hattiegun Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Not a food issue... I have one that does it alot but he is small ( Call duck) and I make a game out of it with him.... If I pick him up and hold him long enough he thinks Im his girlfriend -- uggghhh mostly hes just bein ornery.. lol

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My Cayuga drake loves me lots and I get duck hickies from his bill. He's not hungry. He's feeling frisky. Normally it's just exuberant billing, but sometimes he pinches (hence the duck hickies on my forearms). If he gets too excited and nibbly, I'll hold his bill together and tell him, "No!" He pulls his bill away and goes somewhere to pout.

If he grabs my skirt or pants while he's attempting to trip me up as I walk, I'll just pick him up and carry him a while. When I put him down, he waddles away, mumbling about it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He thinks you are "just one of the flock" and is saying "Watch out I can do this harder if I want." Do not feed him after he nips. If he comes to associate the two actions (nipping=feeding) you will have created a monster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by