Hungry or just spoiled?

Mrs.Johnson

Songster
6 Years
Jul 25, 2017
Northwest Florida
Hello,

I've noticed that my chickens act like they are really hungry during the morning (which I expect because they are in thier coop and haven't had breakfast) and throughout the day. I feed about 4lbs of a mix of pellets and 5 way scratch feed for breakfast (I have 18 laying hens and 1 roo) I let them out to free range and come close to bedtime (my boy is prompt about bedtime 5:30 during winter and 7:30 during summer) they come running (if I'm spotted in the yard) like they haven't had any food. Are they playing me or am I not feeding enough food? They get grit and oysters once or twice a week depending on if the supply bowl is empty. They all look healthy, no one is under weight, thier comb coloring is good. I know I equal food and treats to them. It's thier behavior normal?

It's thier behavior normal?
Sounds normal to me. Overnight they digest whatever food is in their crop when they go to bed so they wake up hungry. They eat off and on during the day and generally try to fill their crop before they go to bed so they have something to digest overnight.

They are opportunistic feeders. If they find a food source during the day they will fill up. If I toss them some kind of treat during the day, say something from the garden, they go bonkers eating it. If for whatever reason I top off a feeder during the day they go crazy over it, even if it is a normal feeder and regular feed.

It's not that they are playing you, that's just the way they are.

@BrooksHatlen
I've been thinking of free choice feeding but won’t they eat all day long?
I have the same question as poster. Feed in morning seems ravenous at 4.
I have 40 hens and I feed 8 qts every morning. Sometimes it’s all gone but sometimes not
Yeah, they'll eat all day but they won't over-eat. Maybe a little bit at first as they get used to having all day access, but it shouldn't be of any concern. And with 40, it will be easier on you, I think, to just fill up 3 feeders once a day.

The grit and oyster shells are always available. I used to have food always available but started having a squirrel and rat/mouse problem because of it being available. If the chickens see the squirrels or rats they will chase them and try to catch them. So I decided to feed in the morning and give a before bed snack but they act like they are starving each time. They free range all day so I was getting concerned. Thank you for your responses. You guys are always helpful.

The grit and oyster shells are always available. I used to have food always available but started having a squirrel and rat/mouse problem because of it being available. If the chickens see the squirrels or rats they will chase them and try to catch them. So I decided to feed in the morning and give a before bed snack but they act like they are starving each time. They free range all day so I was getting concerned. Thank you for your responses. You guys are always helpful.
In that case I'd switch the evening snack to feed and refer you back to post #5. Normal behavior.

Back
Top Bottom