Hunting guys and gals, have a ?

Quote:
+1.

I've never had a deer go more than 30 feet. At least as important as caliber, is shot placement. The Rem 700 will help you there, as well. That gun will shoot better than you do. There really is very little you can do to upgrade the accuracy that gun can give you, out of the box. Over the years, I have repeatedly considered getting a competition, bull barrel fitted to the action. When I hold up a 100 yard target, I just can't justify the expense! How would I know if accuracy got better?

It is boring to shoot at the range. You can shoot one bullet or 20 and the target looks the same. One tiny, ragged hole.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn300/dbuschhorn/LesBaerboltaction.jpg[/IMG]]10 shots. from a Les Baer bolt action, at 100 yards.

Awsome information everyone! I really apreciate it. Looks like I am going to have to play around a little and see what I like. Bummer..
lol.png
Luckily, I think between a few friends I will be able to try out a few before I buy anything. I'm not too put off by some kick, I just want to be sure that I have a gun that is going to do the job, that I enjoy, and that fits me. So I will have some fun testing.
smile.png

Quote:
Just make sure you get a gun that is hard and uncomfortable to handle. Developing a flinch is one of the worst things a shooter can get
hmm.png

Thanks Boyd, I'll be sure to watch that. I don't want a flinch. I kind of experienced that when trying to use my husband's .45, and it isn't easy to stop once your body decides to brace for it. Thanks for the tip!
smile.png

Just get a bow. Different broadheads for different species, but same weapon, same arrows, etc. Mine has taken anything from rabbits and raccoons, to turkeys and deer. I've never been to Africa, but I've seen a bow take down Kudu and cape buffalo.

Just sayin'
cool.png

You will be fine with the 6.8mm. Just practice with it. It is a fast flat shooting bullet. Rem700 is a fine gun also. I have 2 one in 7mm 08 I use for deer and one in 22-250 I use for chucks and predators. Shot placement is the key. Practice practice practice.

Good luck and post some pics of your first deer with it.

Quote:
Sighting a rifle in, is a kick in the pants, and a good learning experience, if you are using a scope. Nothing like dialing it in, at 400yds.

Quote:
That it is, especially if you PAY to have it done, and have it not even hitting a 2'x2' square at 50 yards! That was a load of fun....actually not too bad other than being irritated for the $50 lost on "boresighting"....

I like my kicks, so I've had no issues with shooting rifles and shotguns. I just know some folks don't like it
smile.png

The most fun is getting "kissed" by that darn scope....did that once with an old modified war 30-06...it was a bit back from what I'm used it. Still dropped the deer, but man....

Quote:
+1.

I've never had a deer go more than 30 feet. At least as important as caliber, is shot placement. The Rem 700 will help you there, as well. That gun will shoot better than you do. There really is very little you can do to upgrade the accuracy that gun can give you, out of the box. Over the years, I have repeatedly considered getting a competition, bull barrel fitted to the action. When I hold up a 100 yard target, I just can't justify the expense! How would I know if accuracy got better?

It is boring to shoot at the range. You can shoot one bullet or 20 and the target looks the same. One tiny, ragged hole.

10 shots. from a Les Baer bolt action, at 100 yards.

To shot a group like that i'm assuming you handload? What load do you reccommed for a 20 round 1/2 inch group?

Steve

Back
Top Bottom