Hunting guys and gals, have a ?

chickboss

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
I want a rifle that would work well for both deer and elk. My brother and I were considering the Remington 700 young buck (because of the shorter stock) .243 but then my husband brought home a Remington model 700 tactical 6.8mm. After reading some I am thinking that the 6.8mm is going to be too small a round for elk. I need opinions because as you can tell I am a newbie. No debating please.

ETA: I am more than willing to hear about other options.. Thanks!

Last edited:
I would go bigger than a .243. Nothing smaller than a .270 or 7mm mag. Most of the .30 calibers should be good (30-06, .300mag, .308 mag, .338 mag).

Go look at ammo and see what is available in good supply and price. Decide how big you want to go from a .270. THEN decide your make.

Pay to have the gun sighted in. Shoot a LOT and practice form, breathing and trigger control with a small caliber like a .22 that won't beat you, and then only do a few "good" shots from the big caliber so you don't get kick-shy.

I'm a girl, and I LOVE my .270 (Remington something or other). Bought it used. Blew the heart in half of the buck I shot last year in a head on, slightly quartering shot. He still ran about 30 yards.

Err... well, the .243 is a smaller bullet then a 6.8spc, actually, and I've heard (no actual experience) that many elk have been put down with a .243, so I'd guess the 6.8spc would be sufficient. I'm thinking the bullet selection would be smaller with the 6.8, though I haven't shopped for ammo lately, and am not sure on the availability.
hu.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharon uses a .243 Kimber 84M for deer and it works like a charm for them plus the light recoil means she can practice alot and shoot it well. I use a 7mm -08 also an 84M or a .308, never had a deer go more than a few steps with either. For elk I wouldn't use a .243. You don't need a wabamooooo magnum but you need something you can shoot well and practice with.

Steve

.243 is a great deer gun. Have a h&r single shot and can't even count how many deer i have bagged with it. Now i have a savage bolt action .270 and its the best gun ever. Savages are known for superior accuracy. I shoot 150 grain and that would be the minimum i would shoot a elk with. You might consider a 30-06 or a .270 or possibly a .308.

.30-06 is great for deer and elk. I have never recovered a bullet from a deer. If it passes through, it did it's job.

It's considered at the low end (of good) for elk, but kills them just fine. Of course, you only need one elk to last you half your life. Man! That's a lot of meat.

I have a Rem 700 and I love it!!!!

I want a rifle that would work well for both deer and elk

Remington Model 7 in either 308 or 7mm/08
Brwoning Micro Medallion , same calibers.

Anything bigger is more than needed, and anything smaller is marginal for Elk

Use a lighter load for deer and a heavier bullet for Elk​

Last edited:
I know a lot of folks who love their .243 but if you are meat hunting, I'd go a bit larger. Smallest I use for deer is a .30/06 or a 12ga slug.. but where I live I hunt in thick swamps and heavy brush. I need a heavier bullet so trajectory isn't thrown off by a great deal. Also, in the rare instance where I get a good clean shot through a clearing, I can see a good hit.. Knocks them down flat.

Back
Top Bottom