Hunting.

Love it Love It LOVE IT. Hunt deer, Turkey & Squirrel. And if DH and I are not hunting we are working on fields etc. We eat or give away everything we shoot. No meat goes to waste. I could eat prime rib for what venison costs me. But I don't know what to do with the hides.
= We also love the animal hides. We use animal hides for lots of things. I even grab up fresh road killed fox and stuff that isn't 'ruined' and make my DH skin them. .

What do you use them for and how do you preserve them. Is there some easier way than scraping and curing and all that?​

I've only been going hunting for sixty years. I hope to get in another thirty or forty seasons before I quit. I took my first whitetail thirty years ago and I wish that I had maintained a diary so I would know just how many. The best guestimate is 300 and I processed all but one myself. When I add in the ones my sons have taken the number processed is over 500. I guess you could say venison makes up a large portion of our diet.

DH and I hunt. We don't need to go far for the turkeys. Their in our back yard.

7163_011.jpg

Thats not many, sometimes there could be 40 to 50 of them. We also hunt deer. DH hunts bear. Not me I think they are too cute.

I hunt for really nice fabric to make quilts and other crafts with. It takes a special person to do this. You can't just jump int here and get what you want/ you have to take a sneak approach and be very quiet. Some of the ladies will jump you and even go as far as knocking you down for that perfect yard of fabric.

It's very dangerous to go hunting for fabric....very dangerous. So be careful if you try it.

gig.gif

I bow hunt deer. I have never gotten anything yet but you just can't beat sitting in a tree stand out in the woods with nature all around. I look forward to it every fall. My husband hunts also and so will the boys when they are old enough.

Last edited:
I know what you saying about hunting for the perfect quilt fabric. I took Granny recently and I swear some of the women would wrassle you if they thought you were getting the last fat quarter of a material. Wouldn't matter the color, just that it was the last.

I hunt most large and small game. I however no longer have access to good waterfowl hunting
hit.gif
. I kiss that ALOT, a buddy got me hooked years ago and its hard to shake. Any Maryland area waterfowlers here?
I need to work on my bow skills this year as I have only gone bow hunting a few times, but plan on doing it ALOT this year.
Also, any dove hunters here?

As a kid, I loved the coon hunts when a friend from town brought his dog out for coons in my grandparents sweet corn. Also, many years we accompanied antelope hunters in our pastures pursuing antelope. Those experiences always stayed with me as my parents were not hunters and it wasn't till my sophomore year of college, I had my first antelope license. I spent the night at my grandparents house, they both were up with me early AM for breakfast. I walked about a mile to the place and got my first antelope doe. My grandfather came out with his pickup and I think he was surprised (& a little proud) I actually got one. They both have passed on now, but I hunted their land, my Dad's & Uncle's for deer & antelope now my 14th year. My husband & I got married at an old homestead with apple trees, creek & mulberry tree where I had hunted deer. He loves to hunt and our wedding was opening day of antelope season, I bagged my antelope before bagging my sweetheart. It gives me chills in this photo of my stepson and his first deer, with my niece in her 2nd hunting trip with us https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/17059_deerhunting_2008.jpg Each hunt we show the kids biology aspects, animal behavior, the other wildlife to watch (they love the horned lizards), the butchering (they help too) and what a family event it is. More recently we hunted with my cousin and her family for upland birds & waterfowl where all 6 kids can have the experience.
In 2009, my stepson & I will try for our first elk near Steamboat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom