Hurricane and day 22

CJAppleking

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2019
hi. I’m new to all of this and started incubating some of my hens eggs so my kids could learn about baby chicks. Well only one of 7 eggs ever made it to day 21...but there’s no signs of pipping. I know it could take a little longer but we are about to get his with a hurricane and power might go out. I’m worried my Singleton won’t hatch at all...or if it does, might not survive with out heat. :( there’s not much I can do other than keep it in the incubator and hope we maintain power I guess. But any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!

you can also put blankets towels etc around it to help insulate the incubator, in case power goes out. if all else fails just put it inside your shirt to keep it warm works great too

hi. I’m new to all of this and started incubating some of my hens eggs so my kids could learn about baby chicks. Well only one of 7 eggs ever made it to day 21...but there’s no signs of pipping. I know it could take a little longer but we are about to get his with a hurricane and power might go out. I’m worried my Singleton won’t hatch at all...or if it does, might not survive with out heat. :( there’s not much I can do other than keep it in the incubator and hope we maintain power I guess. But any tips would be appreciated! Thanks!
Do you have a generator?

Do you have a generator?
Unfortunately we do not. Just bought the house and it came with a flock but never had the extra money to get a generator. We will be bringing the chickens into the garage so maybe a hen will be broody enough to keep it warm. I’ll separate her from the rest of the family.

Do you own a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply)? This battery backup solution is typically reserved for computers that you don't want to power off simply because the power is OFF. I own one that's rated for 15 hours of use after the electricity goes off. My incubator is plugged into it. If the UPS can run my computer, its monitor, modem, and speakers for 15 hours, imagine how much longer it can run just the incubator and egg turner!
This might sound like a luxury item, but here in Panama, I lose electricity at least once daily, and often several times daily. Once, my power was off for the better part of a week! My UPS has saved countless hatches.

Back
Top Bottom