Hurricane Earl

redstars

Songster
10 Years
Mar 15, 2009
south dartmouth ma
Here it comes! Anyone else in the way?
What have you done or are gonna do to get ready?
Today I will get gas and make sure the generator is working. Also pick up loose things around the yard.

Last edited:
Ayup, she's a coming.

How am I going to keep 30 week old chicks warm????

If this thing hits us we will be screwed!!!
barnie.gif

redstars - what generator setup do you use? I've been pushing DH about this, especially since we now have TWO big chest freezers and his medical equip.

Dammumis - hot water bottles? (heat water on camp stove or fire) or set closed pots of hot water in the brooder?

Gonna pick up extra feed for all, tidy up the property, restock the bottled water (also have camping water filters) and food essentials (i have limited things i can eat), and beer. (someone over on SS wrote an interesting bit about beer, the SHTF essential commodity). Already have the extra propane tank filled for the grill. Review my evac plans (even though I'm in Atlanta) and go over the whole hurricane education with our european house guest.

The hurricane plan has two parts, stay put or evac.
Stay put is by far the easier, for the chickens they get moved into the XL dog crate in the garage if it gets bad enough - that's also the evac crate. But that's only four chickens, a cat, four adults and a teen to worry about.

be prayin for ya- as far as keeping the little chicks safe- i have brought mine in when we have something coming in- here its mostly tornadoes and thunderstorms....

We'll be sitting tight and hoping it won't get too bad. just made a Costco run, so we're good on water and food. Neighbor has a grill and is willing to share. Chickens have made it through one hurricane, so we're hoping they make it through another one. Especially the ones I hatched out. They're moving outside to the outdoor brooder in my coop tomorrow. I live far enough inland it shouldn't be too bad.

I also remember heating rocks and bricks in a fire, wrapping them in paper grocery sacks and old cloth, to put in the campers' sleeping bags.

I have a vision of chicks in a stacked brick "oven"...
hide.gif

Seriously the Home Despot folks don't know diddly about the one generator they have to sell. What's the method to figuring these things out?

Quote:
Read the manual? If you don't have one, look it up online, most companies will have it on their site.

Every time I hear the news talk about Earl I think of the Dixie Chicks song Earls gotta die....
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom