hurricane Ike in OHIO

It's bad here too - I'm up by the lake. Branches snapping off trees like toothpicks. I'm waiting for my 100+ year old pear tree to rip right out of the ground. My wooden veggie stand blew right over and I lost I don't know how many screens right out of my windows.

I've been so worried about my banties in the pen. The wind is lifting the trampoline cover I have on the top like it's a parachute. I did go pound some wooden stakes in the ground and tie it down the best I could. Hoping it's still there in the morning. It's raining now too.

Oh my gosh!
You should have seen i when it was here!
It was a gale! No Joke!
We got up to go to church this morning. Our driveway is long. The cars are up at the other end. My father went up and brought the car to our little front yard.
The rain kept coming in sheet, the wind was blowing at least 50 mph.
After church, we were driving along and noticed River Des Peres was flooding over a bit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_des_Peres
River Des Peres was one of the rivers that flooded during the great flood of '93 in st. louis.
So We follow it a bit and River Des Peres Boulevard (the street that follows it) was blocked off by the police. There was a car in it.
A lot of places were flooded in St. Louis. Usually when RDP is high, the part near us is low.
But Today, it was high. I'd hate to know what it was like in the other part.
We got home and turned on the news, and a lot of people were stranded in water.
Oh yeah, and the basement was flooded.
Very weird.

Well Im at work but my DW called and told me that we lost two trees in the yard also. As far as she knew the chickens were ok but the wind is incredible. I have seen several trees down and even an antennae on a watertower broken. Bad storm, I sure hope the worst is over.

I am also experiencing really high wind - no rain yet, but if you Roosmama are getting it in North Ridgeville, it is on its way to me - I am in Brook Park. (Okay the rain is here - just closed all my west facing windows!) I am worried because I several really tall trees in my backyard. My (and my sister's) farm is in Newbury, Geauge county and hopefully my alpacas are in the barn and safe. Ohiochick, where are you in Ohio? Leaving the barn open is probably the best - the alpacas will survive the rain or will go in the barn. They are really pretty smart! Hoping we all get through this with little damage. Let us know how you are all doing.

Bonnie
Alpacachick

I think it finally slowed down here. Stopped raining and gusts only every now and then, so Alpacachick, you should be clear soon!

I feel bad even complaining but it's such unusual weather for Ohio. My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in the hurricane's path.

* You guys be careful. Cover and stay away from windside windows. USE your storm shelters if you have them. What is worrisome and troubling is that, as far as we have seen here, there has been NO NEWS out of Texas or the coast AT ALL that we have noticed, since just before the eye landed. Anybody else seen anything???
hmm.png

We are having the high winds now, they started about 5:45 and are really strong now, at least 50-60 miles an hr. Weird lightning, it is orange colored and the wind is coming from the south, it never comes from that way.
I can't see any damage here yet, but some limbs and trees are coming down around the area!
It is scary, and I cannot imagine what people go through when the are in a hurricane. My heart goes out to those people.
Stat safe everyone!
Brenda

We're in Mentor and just starting to see some nasty stuff coming in. Gusts of 45-50 all day, but no rain. The rain is just now starting and wind gusts are now 50-60 mph.

My prayers are sent to those on the Gulf Coast who experienced Ike first hand. Even losing strength after making landfall, he has affected most of our country with such powerful winds and rains.

We've been seeing rain since thurs....a bit of wind but not severe.

I'm in N. IL.

Hi dac, my fellow Illini.

Hope you all are well...pets and structures included.

me,
g

We had some gusty winds today that knocked some limbs down. I also think the wind blew my pasture pen forward...it was in a different spot this evening than this morning, and I know my parents didn't move it! We were happy for the rain, though-we really needed it.

Back
Top Bottom