Hurricane Irene

I am on Long Island too, the ladies will most likely be locked up in their coop for the storm if it gets bad. I do worry about a huge maple tree that sits over the coop that is not in the best of shape. Hoping it doesn't come down, my ladies would be goners.

Quote:

Quote:
Mrs.K, ScottyHOMEy, and nwfl, thank you for that information. I never thought of it that way. I was thinking of the blowing rain. Maybe I should consider our cellar. Thank you again

I was thinking the same thing myself as the others, glad you already got some good advice on this!

We are not supposed to get it too bad (only heavy rain and damaging wind
hide.gif
), but I'm wondering about moving the birds out of my quarantine pen into the coop, since it is not well protected from that kind of wind and rain. I just hate to rush the integration like that, since I've got 3 groups of birds in separate areas, and am already merging two groups on Saturday. I guess I'll wait on the weather reports and decide on Saturday.

I'll be thinking of anyone in the storm's path!

From the latest computer models the hurricane looks like it will make aq direct hit around the Outer Banks of North Carolina and continue heading North as a very strong storm. It could be a category 4 when he makes its first landfall in NC. I have had a lot of experience with hurricanes throughout the years living in Florida and this is a bad storm and I do not believe that most coops will survive a direct hit. For those affected, however you can, I think you need to brings all your animals inside (including chickens) otherwise they could be blown away. For the most part there is no way to secure your coop that would insure it is safe. My real concern is for those who are near the caost and will need to evacuate. That is mainly for those who live near the Outer Banks and Southern VA. For the most part the major part of the storm will usually pass after a few hours, so for that period of time I think it is necessary to put your chickens inside.

The very latest info says the storm should make landfall just South of the NC and VA border sometime at about 1 AM Sunday morning as a category 2 or stronger.

I'm starting to freak a little...We are in NY (Westchester County) and am most worried about the wind. I know my girls would be safe and dry in their coop, but wind could bring down trees that would crush them. I am considering moving them to my garage. I think my husband might think I am officially a lunatic.

Quote:
The wind and tree damage is also my main concern for our birds. Our coop is not likely to blow away (10' x 10' and has withstood years of nor'easters), but falling trees/branches will be a real danger, as well as power outages. I'm filling my extra water containers tomorrow for the birds in case we cannot draw water for a few days, in addition to filling extra containers for water for the house.

We do not have a garage for them to shelter in, and no reasonable way to bring 20 birds into our finished basement (I'm not even going to mention it to DH), so they'll have to stick it out in the coop. I know if we get some wild weather I will not be sleeping much Sunday night/ Monday morning anyway, since I'll be worried about trees coming down on the house as much as the coop.

Last edited:
our coop is surrounded by trees so im quite worried. What should i do? i cant bring them inside and the coop is too heavy to move. i hope they will be ok. the door to shut them in the coop part broke... perfect timing
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom