Hurricane prep question...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chloemama, Oct 29, 2012.

1. chloemama

chloemama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2010
    Northern Rhode Island
    We are starting to get the winds from Sandy. I live in northern RI we have lots of pines that only have branches at the top. Our coop is in the midst of such trees.

When Irene hit last year I let the chickens out to find protection in the woods - but we got the hardest part of the storm during the day.

Sandy is predicted to be the most intense late this afternoon in tonight.
    I am afraid that if I leave them in the coop something could happen, but if I let them out what if they don't come back in at night?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated as I am starting to get nervous!

2. rmack2

rmack2 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    Do you have a large dog crate that you could bring them into a garage, basement, or other room inside your home? I'd be afraid of letting them roam into the woods as they might become some preditors lunch. If you don't have a crate what about bringing them into a bathroom and closing them in? How many hens?

3. chloemama

chloemama Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2010
    Northern Rhode Island
    Thanks- no I have too many hens and a rooster to be able to crate and bringing them in the house isn't an option. They have a 20x30 penned area, though they are usually free ranging. I have let them into the penned area and will just keep an eye on them.

Thanks

4. Greasydog26

Greasydog26 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2012
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I think that I might lock them in their coop just to keep them out of the wind and at least they would have some protection...Good Luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by