hurricane preparedness for chickens

I'm in NJ..about 20mins. west of coastline...I thiiink I have everyone secured and buckled down...time will tell. My big chickens will stay in the Chicken Barn(small size barn)...they will have their door open so they can come in and out. I have an attached three sided "Run-In" for my two dairy goat...this worries me a bit b/c it's not built super tough....anyway...the seramas have their own coop with a huge rubbermaid trashcan for shelter(I have used big pavers inside the trashcan to secure it down pretty well and it's up against the side of the barn and their coop has a roof. The silkies I simply put in a big wooden hutch(they usually use it for nesting, sleeping, laying eggs, but they have food & water and are completely locked in. Time will tell how prepared we are!
hide.gif
hu.gif
Lots of prayers for everyone in harms way.
hugs.gif

Well the worst has passed us by here in NC It lasted until about 2pm today or 24 hrs total with 18 of those bad. All my babies were OK but quite indignant about being cooped up so long. When I let them out they had to wade in about 3 inches of water with only a 5 ft by 10 ft dry spot to give them some relief. I cleaned out their feeder and put dry in but they were more interested in the pears and tomatoes I gave them as a peace offering. I hope you all have egually good reports to make soon.

My neighbor gave me a bright idea for those that do not think their coop is Hurricane proof.

Put them in the back of your truck (if you have a topper).

If you have the equipment, and a hose, this will be a pretty easy fix for the storm.

Back
Top Bottom