hurricane preparedness for chickens

pbhens

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
We live in the northeast and are right on track for Hurricane Irene. Any suggestions for what to do with the chickens that day? Should we keep them in the hen house, or will then have enough sense to go in there on their own (surprisingly, they frequently stay out in the run when it rains)? Should we figure out how we might contain them in the garage, or is that not necessary?

We are also in the track for the hurricane, though not ordered to evacuate. They estimate 100 mph winds. Any suggestions for tying down the coop?

We have a small 4'x4' coop with 4'x4' attached run with no footings. It's 24" high.
We were thinking about pipes into the ground all around with bungees across the top?
And will our four hens be okay in the coop or should we bring them in to the basement?

Any suggestions are welcomed, thanks!

We are in NH and on the watch as well. Mine will stay out in the coop for as long as it is safe for them. Good luck! Someone posted to me as well to remember your windows in the coop as the rain will be blowing sideways and will likely soak the inside of the coop. Mine seem to stay out in the rain as well so I dont think it will bug mine too much. LOL

Having been on the Cape for Bob, and being on the south coast now, I'm definitely bunkering down and will NOT being letting anyone out when the storm's due in. Mine stay out in the terrible rain, and it's not worth risking their or my safety trying to corral them in in the face of a nor'easter, let alone a hurricane.

I'm moving most of mine into the goat's shed for the day of, it'll be a bit cramped but it's much sturdier than the coop (which is also surrounded by a lot of dead trees, we're in a forest) and the rest into a pen I built in the hayloft in our garage. The garage floor and basement flood, and our flock's too big to bring into the house proper. The folks down the road will be wheeling their tractors into the garage.

I have all the same worries. I just built my coop this spring and I don't want to see that my building is not good enough and kill them all. So I plan on taking half of my garage and putting them all in there for the day.

I have thought long and hard about what to do and if I should leave them in the coop. But just now seeing all the military F-15's fly out of state I am going to be taking even more precautions than I was before.

I have 3 pens of birds who are all going to become very good friends for a day. My poor ducks are going to miss out on all the fun
big_smile.png
They love the rain.

I'm in Maryland and but far enough in that we are only expecting 30-40 sustained winds but gusts much stronger. Luckily I just had a run built like a brick ____-house. 6x6 footers in cement etc... my little coop is nestled under that so they should be safe. They will be locked in the run/coop area during the storm.

I have 2 sisters on the Eastern Shore that I worry more about. They have kids and dogs, no chickens!

Let's say a prayer for those on the East Coast that are close to eye of Irene, that they will ride out this storm in safety and praise God when it's over!

Well I live in NC on the coast. The storm eye is supposed to come ashore about 35 miles from my home. And, the winds may reach well over 100 mph. and it's expected to rain between 12 and 17 inches. I've used trailer storm anchors to tie down my coup. The coop is really a place for them to roost as they mainly stay outside. But, it is made out of heavy stuff.
These anchors look like huge wine bottle cork removers. I then used rachet straps and tightened them down. I placed a couple hundred pounds of weight on top of the tin slanted roof. And, wedged posts against each side of the raised off the ground coop. I'm going to place a coffee can of scratch and several pears and their 3 gal waterer inside the coop. I hope they will be alright.

I wish we could prepare. We are in Nj, 40 miles from the coast. But at the moment we are in England and will only be back on Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom