Hurricane stress

HoneysuckleHomestead

Songster
5 Years
Jul 5, 2018
NC
So, I have 16 SLWs and they're currently about 16 weeks old. They have been beautiful healthy birds so far, but today, when I got home (early, because our company shut down due to being hit pretty hard by Hurricane Michael) I see 2 roosters that are missing most of their tail feathers, picked out by 'who-knows' and one of the two has a bright red tail. No blood that I could see, just obviously irritated. On top of that, I see 2 hens that are holding their tail to the side. They've never been like that before, BUT it's raining like crazy, so it could just be wet feathers? I'm concerned, but I'm in the middle of a hurricane. Thoughts, and advice? Thanks!

So, I have 16 SLWs and they're currently about 16 weeks old.
[…]
They've never been like that before, BUT it's raining like crazy, so it could just be wet feathers? I'm concerned, but I'm in the middle of a hurricane. Thoughts, and advice? Thanks!
As hard as it may sounds:
You should take care on you and your family first!
And then there is only so much you can do for those animals. Provide shelter from the elements and clean water and, if you have, some food. Then let nature follow its path…
:fl :fl :fl
I went through two hurricanes, Ike and Harvey, had enough and moved from Texas to West Virginia.

Updated with photo. This is one of the roosters missing tail feathers. Excuse his ruffled feathers, we got a clearing in the rain and he was shaking some rain off.

20181011_163912.jpg

Your going to be ok. We live close too and our animals went nuts. It will take a couple of days to get all of you back together. Right now, we thank God you are on here posting about a rooster’s tail. No worries though, hens probably think he hangs the moon and where was he when they got all rumpled lol. Or he braved the storm and lost a few “leaves”. Go Roo! Peace go with you. I live in NE Florida and if you NEED help you let me know.

First I’m glad you and your family and your flock survived Michael...what a storm to endure. God had his hands upon y’all.
It could be stress. Chickens do bazaar things when stressing. I can’t imagine what was going through their little minds.
Plucking feathers under stress is pretty common.
Watch them see if you pick up on who’s plucking. Perhaps as the weather calms they will too. Best wishes

Thanks for everyone's reply. That puts my mind at ease, that it very well could be the stress. I'm definitely going to get them some "distraction toys" and keep a CLOSE eye on them for the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom