Hurt Duck

Wanted to add-
If you do do antibiotics, which I highly recommend if the above members suggest it, make sure to get ahold of some probiotics. The more natural the better, and soil based is best. Depending on your budget Four Leaf Rover sells some really high quality probiotics that are soil based for dogs. I love the brand and use it for my pups all the time. Otherwise you can get probiotics at the feed store, usually Durvet brand.

Probiotics are important because antibiotics kill all the bad bacteria, and the important beneficial bacteria in the gut. The gut is the largest part of the immune system, so when you kill those bacteria, you substantially weaken the immune system making it much much harder for the chicken to fight the infection/heal naturally.
Probiotics replace those beneficial bacteria, and strengthen the immune system. Its always beneficial to feed probiotics even if you aren't giving antibiotics. Its a great immune booster.

Poor girl!! the care you can give is better than nothing but it really looks like she needs a vet with this one... those are some nasty looking wounds. and right on her head! ouch!!

Its really great that she's eating and drinking, thats awesome progress! Looks like your on the right track, just out of curiosity, what is in that antibacterial spray?
Looks like you cleaned it well, is she responsive, moving at all? To start, its important to make sure she's recovered from shock. Don't add Applecider vinegar, its not helpful unless you want to try to keep algae down in your waterers, and I'm not even entirely sure if it really helps with that.
Put sugar in her water instead. This will help her recover from shock, and @azygous and further explain its benefits. If you offer sugar water, always make sure you offer plain water as well. Make a wet mash with her feed as this will be easier to eat.

As for cleaning the wounds, rinsing them with Saline, Veterycin, Chlorhexadine, or diluted iodine is always good. If you don't have any of those, warm soapy water works good as well, which it sounds like you already washed with. Nice work!
You'll also want to apply a THICK layer of pain free Neosporin. Pain relief isn't good for chickens or ducks. If you don't have it, any pain free antibacterial cream will do. You want to have a thick layer at all times to keep it moist.
Clip any feathers away from the wound that may hang into it or irritate it. Don't wrap. Make sure to clean at least once a day, and keep a close eye on the wound to prevent infection. Poultry are very resilient, you'd be surprised what they can survive. Sounds like your on the right track, keep up the good work for your sweet girl.

Keep a close eye on her, and make sure she's in a calm, temperature controlled environment were she can relax. I've always dissolved 1/2 a baby aspirin in water, or popped it right down my poultry's throat for pain relief. Thats for chickens though, not for ducks. @Crazy Maizie, were is your research for the 5 aspirin? I'd be hesitant to give that much.
@Wyorp Rock and @Eggcessive will be able to provide you with additional information. Azygous who I tagged above will be helpful as well.
Thank you. I put her in the tub tonight she swam around a bit. I did use vetricin on her tonight. I left her cage open (it’s in the living room) and she was walking around. If we scratch her chest she talks a little.
Thank you for the advice. We are really just doing what we can. I will have my husband help me trim feather. When we picked her up she fought a bit. I think she wants to live. I put baby mash in the bottom of her water, it’s hard for her to turn her head and I’m sure she’s more sore today.
Thank you again.

Thank you. I put her in the tub tonight she swam around a bit. I did use vetricin on her tonight. I left her cage open (it’s in the living room) and she was walking around. If we scratch her chest she talks a little.
Thank you for the advice. We are really just doing what we can. I will have my husband help me trim feather. When we picked her up she fought a bit. I think she wants to live. I put baby mash in the bottom of her water, it’s hard for her to turn her head and I’m sure she’s more sore today.
Thank you again.
This is great progress! Sounds like she's recovered from shock, now you'll just have to keep those wounds clean, and get a hold of some antibiotics and probiotics.
Did you do a layer of antibiotic ointment over the wound? If not, make sure to do that tomorrow. If the wound dries out it will make it more difficult for her to heal.

Its really great that she's eating and drinking, thats awesome progress! Looks like your on the right track, just out of curiosity, what is in that antibacterial spray?
Looks like you cleaned it well, is she responsive, moving at all? To start, its important to make sure she's recovered from shock. Don't add Applecider vinegar, its not helpful unless you want to try to keep algae down in your waterers, and I'm not even entirely sure if it really helps with that.
Put sugar in her water instead. This will help her recover from shock, and @azygous and further explain its benefits. If you offer sugar water, always make sure you offer plain water as well. Make a wet mash with her feed as this will be easier to eat.

As for cleaning the wounds, rinsing them with Saline, Veterycin, Chlorhexadine, or diluted iodine is always good. If you don't have any of those, warm soapy water works good as well, which it sounds like you already washed with. Nice work!
You'll also want to apply a THICK layer of pain free Neosporin. Pain relief isn't good for chickens or ducks. If you don't have it, any pain free antibacterial cream will do. You want to have a thick layer at all times to keep it moist.
Clip any feathers away from the wound that may hang into it or irritate it. Don't wrap. Make sure to clean at least once a day, and keep a close eye on the wound to prevent infection. Poultry are very resilient, you'd be surprised what they can survive. Sounds like your on the right track, keep up the good work for your sweet girl.

Keep a close eye on her, and make sure she's in a calm, temperature controlled environment were she can relax. I've always dissolved 1/2 a baby aspirin in water, or popped it right down my poultry's throat for pain relief. Thats for chickens though, not for ducks. @Crazy Maizie, were is your research for the 5 aspirin? I'd be hesitant to give that much.
@Wyorp Rock and @Eggcessive will be able to provide you with additional information. Azygous who I tagged above will be helpful as well.
Why are you requesting my research? It's on BYC as well as other places. I don't have to research it for you, but you can do a search yourself. I could ask the same of your advice and much others on here. But, I learned a long time ago to do my own research.
5 aspirin per 1 gal of water dilutes it as much as a baby aspirin. You're not giving the duck the whole gallon of water at one time. Most people don't have baby aspirin in their homes unless there are young children in the home. I made a quick post last night because I was headed for bed. The OP had not had 1 response in the 1.5 hours they had posted it.
With all good intentions, this duck is missing a chunk of her head right by her eye. It needs a vet.

Last edited:
Why are you requesting my research? It's on BYC as well as other places. I don't have to research it for you, but you can do a search yourself. I could ask the same of your advice and much others on here. But, I learned a long time ago to do my own research.
5 aspirin per 1 gal of water dilutes it as much as a baby aspirin. You're not giving the duck the whole gallon of water at one time. Most people don't have baby aspirin in their homes unless there are young children in the home. I made a quick post last night because I was headed for bed. The OP had not had 1 response in the 1.5 hours they had posted it.
With all good intentions, this duck is missing a chunk of her head right by her eye. It needs a vet.
Thanks Crazy Maizie for explaining that to me. I now see were I misunderstood your post.
I'm sorry if my post came on strong, I didn't mean for it to sound like I was doubting you.
I'm sorry for the confusion, and thanks for taking the time to better explain that to me.
I always think your posts are very helpful, and you offer great advice. :)

Back
Top Bottom