Hurt hen...what should I do?

charmed one

Show Me State Gal
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Near Truman Lake, Mo
I have a RIR hen that has been pecked in the back of the neck by the other hens. I don't think they are being specifically mean to her. It seems when she is in front of one of them and bends over, they see the white and naturally peck. She has a big bare spot all along the back of her neck. I have no roosters. She is not sick and is eating and drinking normally. Is there anything I can put on the back of her neck to make them leave her alone? Do I need to seperate her from the others? What should I do?
hit.gif

Is there a way to seperate her from them physically...but so they can still see each other?? For a few weeks or so!?? You might need to get some Blue Kote..and spray that on her bare spot. This will minimise the pecking. I hope she heals well...and fast!

Thanks for the advice Deb...I might be able to put her in a big cage inside the chicken house. I'll have to see what I have. Maybe fence a corner of the chicken house for her? Sorry...I'm thinking and typing at the same time. Blue Kote? Is this something I can get at the feed store? Is this an antibiotic? For chickens only? Thanks for the help.
hugs.gif

How's your hen? If you can't get the Bluekote spray and there is no open wound yet...take a blck marker and color her bare spot. Chickens will peck at red spots and sometimes just anything that looks different on another chicken.

Back
Top Bottom