Hurt hen

aim0620

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Looking for advice. We do not have an avian vet anywhere nearby and one of my girls came down yesterday limping. So I left her and kept an eye on her. She didn't roost last night just stayed in the nesting box. This morning I left for work she was still up. Came home about 4 hours later and she was in the run with the other two and they had gotten to her. Plucked her feathers,there was a little blood. Now she's really hobbling. I'm going to remove her, the others are in the yard, and out her in a crate on straw in the garage. Any other suggestions? Please....

Blukote the affected areas.

Is she still hobbling? You are going to need to check her legs and feet over for injuries. Describe how she is hobbling- is the hobble coming from the ankle, the knee or the hip?

How much space is available and how many birds in that space?

Last edited:
Thanks for replying...she is walking around, flying, even running a little. We let her in the yard today and she went right up to the run where the other girls are and immediately our speckled susex started to pwck at her. She's missing a lot of feathers and she's been noisy since we put her back in the garage. I'm sure she misses being with them. I'm going to wait a while longer before reintroducing her. Any suggestions for that? I'm afraid when its time, to leave her in there with the others when I leave for work

Sorry, the hobbeling seems to have subsided. We have three total in the coop...its fairly big. They are all about a year and a half old. Never had any sort of problem with any of them. We've always counted ourselves lucky.

Back
Top Bottom